Digital photographs analysis in predicting physiologic vertical dimension using a vertical dimension application software
Objective: To determine indirect measurements through digital photographs of the face to predict physiological vertical dimensions and correlation of physiological vertical dimensions measurement directly on faces with indirect measurements through digital photographs of faces.Material and Methods: This was observational analytic with cross sectional study design. The subjects were 50 students of faculty of dentistry, Hasanuddin University who met the inclusive criteria. Measurement of digital photographs was analyzed using Apikal software (Vertical Dimension Application)Results: Kruskal Wallis test on faces and digital photographs obtained p value 0.537 and 0.157 (p > 0.05) respectively, mean the distance in the subnation-gnation (Sn-Gn) and distance from the interpupil line to the lip commissure (IP-Ka and IP-Ki) on the face and digital photographs did not have significant differences. From pearson correlation test, obtained p = 0.000 (p < 0.05) mean there was correlation between manual measurements with Apikal measurements on IP-Ka, IP-Ki, and Sn-Gn reference points with r values of 0.703, 0.711, 0.800 respectively, which means the correlation is strong and positive.Conclusion: Measurement of physiological vertical dimensions indirectly on digital photographs can be used to predict physiological vertical dimensions using apikal software and there is a significant correlation between direct measurements on the face and indirectly on digital photos with strong correlation and positive values.
- Maulana GS, Adhani R, Heriyani F. Factors affecting tooth loss at the age of 35-44 years in Juai District, Balangan Regency in 2014. Dentin 2016;1: 98. (In Indonesia)
- Lontaan J, Siagian KV, Pangemanan DH. Pattern of tooth loss in removable partial denture patients at the Dental and Oral Hospital Study Program Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine, Sam Ratulangi University. JKK 2017;1: 1-2. (In Indonesia)
- Anshary MF, Cholil, Arya IW. Description of the pattern of partial tooth loss in the community of Guntung Ujung Village, Banjar Regency. Dentin 2014;2: 138-139. (In Indonesia)
- Wirahadikusumah A, Koesmaningati H, Fardaniah S. Digital photo analysis as a predictor of physiological vertical dimension. J Dentist Indonesia 2011;18: 38.
- Chairani CN, Rahmi E. The correlation between the vertical dimension of occlusion and the length of the little finger in the deutro Malay sub race. Maj Kedok Gigi Indonesia 2016;2: 155-157. (In Indonesia)
- Ladda R, Kasat OV, Bhandari AJ. A new technique to determine vertikal dimension of occlusion from anthropometric measurement ofgaris interpupillary distance. J Clin Exp Dent 2014;6: 396-399.
- Aruna JB, Ladda R, Akhsay JB. Correlation betwen vertikal dimension of occlusion and length of little finger. Pravara Med Rev 2012;4: 10-14.
- Nurung M, Dharmautama M, Jubhari EH, et al. Comparison between two dot technique with cephalometric analysis on the measurement of the vertikal dimension of occlusion. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2014;13: 141-142,144.
- Gomes VL. Vertikal dimension of the face analysed by digital photographs. Euro Jesth dent 2008;3: 362-370.
- Kiekens MAR. Putative golden proportions as predictor of facial esthetics in adoslescents. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthoped 2008;134: 480-483.
- MizumotoY, Deguchi ST, Fong KWC. Assessment of facial golden proportions among young japanese women. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthoped 2009;136: 168-173.
- Gunadi HA. Ilmu geligi tiruan sebagian lepasan. 2th ed. Jakarta: EGC; 2016. p. 295-299.
- Ifwandi, Rahmayani L, Maylanda A. Proportion of face height in class I and class II molar relations division 2 angle students of the Faculty of Dentistry, Syiah Kuala University. J Syiah Kuala Dent Soc 2016;1: 153. (In Indonesia)
- Geerts GA, Stuhlinger ME, Nel DG. A Comparison of the accuracy of two methods used by pre-doctoral students to measure vertikal dimension. J Prosthetic Dentist 2004;91: 59.
- Turrell AJW. Clinical assessment of vertikal dimension. J Prosthetic Dentist 2006;96: 79-82.
- Gusa RF. Digital image processing for calculating used areas. JNTE 2013;2: 1-8. (In Indonesia)
How to Cite
Dammar, I., & Zulkifli. (2021). Digital photographs analysis in predicting physiologic vertical dimension using a vertical dimension application software. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 6(3), 169–174. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v6i3.1014