The effect of addition of hydroxyapatite from skipjack tuna (katsuwonus pelamis) fish bone flour to the transverse, impact, and tensile strength of heat cured acrylic resin
Objective:This study aims to determine the effect that occurs when heat cured acrylic resin is added hydroxyapatite which is synthesized from skipjack fish bones.Material and Methods: This study using 27 samples of heat cured acrylic resin for each mechanical strength divided into 3 groups, namely groups with the addition of 0%, 2%, and 5% hydroxyapatite from the weight of the polymer.Results: The analysis showed a significant decrease in transverse strength with 5% addition of hydroxyapatite group (One-way AnovaÂ test, p = 0.001), a significant decrease in impact strength occurred in both groups of 2% and 5% addition of hydroxyapatite (One-way Anova test, p = 0.000), and also the addition of 2% & 5% hydroxyapatite caused a significant decrease in tensile strength (One-way Anova test, p = 0.018).Conclusion: Hydroxyapatite synthesized from skipjack fish bone affects the mechanical strength of acrylic resins, namely transverse, impact and tensile.
Keywords: Heat cured acrylic resin Hydroxyapatite Impact strength Skipjack tuna fish bone Tensile strength Transverse strength
- Abdullah ZS. The effect of addition of hydroxyapatite microscopic fillers on surface roughness and some
- mechanical properties of heat cured acrylic resin. J
- Baghdad Coll Dent 2015;27: 50-54.
- Gad MM, Fouda SM, Al-Harbi FA, et al. PMMA
- denture base material enhancement: A review of fiber,
- filler, and nanofiller addition. Int J Nanomedicine
- ;12: 3801-3812.
- Cahyanto A, Kosasih E, Aripin D, et al. Fabrication of
- hydroxyapatite from fish bones waste using reflux method.
- IOP Conf Ser Mater Sci Eng 2017;172: 012006.
- Riyanto B, Maddu A. Material of hydroxyapatite-based
- bioceramics from tuna fishbone. J Pengolah Has Perikan
- Indones 2014;16: 119-132.
- Mutmainnah M, Chadijah S, Rustiah WO. Hidroksiapatit
- dari tulang ikan tuna sirip kuning (tunnus albacores) dengan metode presipitasi. Al-Kimia 2017;5: 119-126.
- Anusavice K, Shen C, Rawls HR. Phillipsâ€™ science of dental
- materials. 12th ed. US: Saunders; 2012. p. 48-68.
- Sakaguchi R, Ferracane J, Powers J. Craigâ€™s restorative dental
- materials. 14th ed. US: Mosby; 2018. p. 29-48.
- American Dental Association. Revised American Dental
- Association specification no. 12 for denture base polymers.
- J Am Dent Assoc 1975;90: 451-458.
- Setyohadi R, Nugrahini D, Ummah LLAm El. The effect of
- siwak solution as cleansing in heat cured acrylic
- submersion to impact strength. E-Prodenta J Dent 2017;1:
- Leitune VCB, Collares FM, Trommer RM, et al. The addition of nanostructured hydroxyapatite to an experimental
- adhesive resin. J Dent 2013;41: 321-327.
- Ellakwa AE, Shortall AC, Marquis PM. Influence of
- fiber type and wetting agent on the flexural properties of
- an indirect fiber reinforced composite. J Prosthet Dent
- ;88: 485-490.
- Chow WS, Tay HK, Azlan A, et al. Mechanical and thermal
- properties of hydroxyapatite filled poly ( methyl methacrylate ) composites. Proc Polym Process Soc 24th Annu Meet
- : 1-3.
- Hassan ZJ, Hatim NA, Taqa AA. Study the FTIR of
- hydroxyapatite addi- tive to heat cured acrylic resin. Al â€“
- Rafidain Dent J 2014;14: 32-36.
- Zebarjad SM, Sajjadi SA, Sdrabadi TE, et al. A study on
- mechanical properties of pmma/hydroxyapatite nanocomposite. Engineering 2011;3: 795-801.
- Maghfiroh H, Nugroho R, Probosari N. The effect of
- carbonated beverage to the discoloration of polished and
- unpolished nanohy
How to Cite
Hapsari, D. N., Wardani, S. C., Firdausya, W. A., Amaturrohman, K., & Wiratama, H. P. (2020). The effect of addition of hydroxyapatite from skipjack tuna (katsuwonus pelamis) fish bone flour to the transverse, impact, and tensile strength of heat cured acrylic resin. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 5(2), 94–97. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v5i2.1016