The effectivity of binahong (anredera cordifolia (ten.) steenis) leaves extract for growth inhibition of streptococcus mutans in oral cavity
Objective: This research was conducted to determine the effectiveness of binahong (anredera cordifolia (ten.) steenis) leaves extract in inhibiting the streptococcus mutans growth.Material and Methods: The study is true experimental laboratories with posttest-only control group design. The study sample used was binahong leaves and streptococus mutans bacteria that were multiplied in Microbiology Laboratory of the Faculty of Pharmacy, Universitas Sumatera Utara. This study used seven treatment groups namely, 75%, 50%, 25%, 12.5%, 6.25% binahong leaves extract, amoxicillin (positive control) and Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) (negative control). Testing the treatment group for the streptococcus mutans was carried out using the Kirby-Bauer disk diffusion method with four repetitions. Extract was done by maceration using 96% ethanol solvent.Results: Indicate that the binahong leaves extract can inhibit the growth of streptococcus mutans which can be seen from the clear zone formed on paper discs that have been given binahong leaves extract with a concentration of 75%, 50%, 25%, 12.5%, 6.25%, along with amoxicillin and dimethylsulfoxide/DMSO. The results also showed a significant difference in diameter of the inhibition zone from each treatment group (p <0.005).Conclusion: Binahong leaves extract has antibacterial ability because it can inhibit the growth of Streptococcus mutans in the oral cavity and compared to other concentrations, 75% concentration is more effective in inhibiting the growth of streptococcus mutans in the oral cavity.
Deprecated: Non-static method HtmlArticleGalleyPlugin::get_html() should not be called statically in /home/customer/www/jdmfs.org/public_html/cache/t_compile/42362804174f266c598cdb32c3208fc745b92101^addd65021fadf964339ab08cd1aa93ba59b14e9c_0.app.frontendobjectsarticledet.php on line 214
- Rukmana, Rahmat H. Farm Bigbook-Cultivation & post-harvest of superior medicinal plants. ed 1. Lily Publisher; Yogyakarta: 2006. p. 2-3, 16, 26-7, 40-2. (In Indonesia)
- Rahmawati F, Bintari SH. Study of the antibacterial activity of binahong leaf extract (anredera cordifolia) on the growth of bacillus cereus and salmonella enteritidis. Unnes J Life 2014;3: 105. (In Indonesia)
- Zenia AU, Purwanti N, Wahyudi IA. Effect of lime peel extract (Citrus aurantifolia swingle) concentration of 10% on the activity of the enzyme glucosyltransferase streptococcus mutans. Maj Ked Gi 2013;20: 130. (In Indonesia)
- Ainurrochmah A, Ratnasari E, Lisdiana L. The effectiveness of Binahong leaf extract (Anredera cordifolia) against the growth inhibition of shigella flexneri bacteria by using the Sumuran method. LenteraBio 2013;2: 236. (In Indonesia)
- Sanders ER. Aseptic laboratory techniques: Plating methods. J Vis Exp 2012;63: 1-3.
- Dwitiyanti, Harahap Y, Elya B, et al. Impact of solvent on the characteristics of standardized Binahong leaf (anredera cordifolia (Ten.) steenis). Pharmacog J 2019;11: 1464-1468.
- Tiwari P, Bimlesh K, Mandeep K, et al. Phytochemical screening and extraction: A review. Int Pharmaceutic Sci 2011;1: 98-100.
- Ying LY, Hernawan I, Hendarti HT. Inhibition of binahong leaf extract (anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis against polybacteria in recurrent aphthous stomatitis (SAR). Oral Med Dent J 2011;3: 19. (In Indonesia)
- Suhendra CP, Widarta IWR, Wiadnyani. The effect of ethanol concentration on the antioxidant activity of grass roots rhizome extract (imperata cylindrica (L) beauv) in extraction using ultrasonic waves. J Ilmu Teknologi Pangan 2019;28: 30-31. (In Indonesia)
- Wardhani LK, Sulistyani N. Antibacterial activity test of ethyl acetate extract of binahong leaves (anredera cordifolia (L.) steenis) against shigella flexneri along with thin layer chromatography profile. J Ilmiah Kefarmasian 2012;2: 3. (In Indonesia)
- Hanafiah OA, Hanadiah DS, Bayu ES, et al. Quantity differences of secondary metabolites (saponins, tannins and flavonoids) from binahong plant extract (anredera cordifolia (Ten.) steenis) treated and untreated with cplchicines that play a role in wound healing. World J Dent 2017;8: 296-299.
- Rahmawati F, Bintang M, Artika IM. Antibacterial activity and phytochemical analysis of geranium homeanum turez leaves. Curr. Biochem 2017;4: 19-21.
How to Cite
Dohude, G. A., & Ginting, F. C. (2021). The effectivity of binahong (anredera cordifolia (ten.) steenis) leaves extract for growth inhibition of streptococcus mutans in oral cavity. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 6(3), 151–155. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v6i3.1040