Clinicopathological analysis of 847 odontogenic cysts examined over 10 years period: A retrospective study
Objective: The purpose of this study is to analyze and report the prevalence, frequency, sex distribution, site distribution and clinicopathological features of odontogenic cysts in an institutional academic dental hospital by studying the biopsy specimens and clinical records obtained from the archives of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Department of Pathology, A.M.U, Aligarh, India, during the past 10 years.Material and methods: Data on odontogenic jaw cysts treated between 2009 and 2018 were retrieved from clinical files; imaging and histopathology reports and a total of 847 patients were included. In each case, we analyzed age, gender, type and number of cysts, and cyst location. Imaging characteristics and pathologies associated with cystic lesions were also determined.Results: Diagnosis of odontogenic cyst was made in 847 cases and accounted for 10.9 % of all lesions biopsied (7748) throughout the period. Mean age of the patient was 28.2 years, and 57.3 % were males. The overall male to female ratio was 1.34:1. Radicular cyst was most prevalent histological type (54.54 %) followed by dentigerous cyst, odontogenic keratocyst, lateral periodontal cyst, residual cyst, botryoid odontogenic cyst, gingival cyst. The distribution of cysts were nearly equal in mandible (51.6%) and maxilla (48.4%) with the most common location being anterior maxilla and posterior mandible. The most prevalent radiological feature of these lesions was unilocular cyst (88.78%). Associated pathologies with cystic lesions like displacement and resorption of teeth occurred in 14.7%.Conclusions: The prevalence, distribution and characteristics of odontogenic cysts of oral cavity and jaws, have some differences as well as similarities with findings of studies in different populations. The prevalence of inflammatory cyst was greater than developmental cyst in this study. The three most common cyst (Radicular cyst, Dentigerous and Odontogenic keratocyst) comprised 96.8% of all odontogenic cysts in the present study.
- Avelar RL, Antunes AA, Carvalho RWF, Bezerra PGC, Neto PJO, Andrade ESS (2009) Odontogenic cysts: A clinicopathological study of 507 cases. J Oral Sci 51:581–586 2.
- Urrutia SN, Figueiredo R, Gay-Escoda C (2010) Retrospective clinicopathological study of 418 odontogenic cysts. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 15:767–773
- Kaplan I, Gal G, Anavi Y, Manor R, Calderon S (2005) Glandular odontogenic cyst: treatment and recurrence. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:435–441
- Grossmann SM, Machado VC, Xavier GM, Moura MD, Gomez RS, Aguiar MC, et al. Demo-graphic profile of odontogenic and selected nonodontogenic cysts in a Brazilian population. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007; 104:35-41
- Jones AV, Craig GT, Franklin CD. Range and demographics of odontogenic cysts diagnosed in a UK population over a 30-year period. J Oral Pathol Med. 2006; 35:500-7.
- Odontogenic and maxillofacial bone tumors. In:ElNaggar AK,Chan JKC,Grandis JR,Takata T,Slootweg P,editors.WHO classification of Head and Neck Tumors.4th ed.Lyon:IARC;2017.205-60
- Açikgöz A, Uzun-Bulut E, Özden B, Gündüz K. Prevalence and distribution of odontogenic and nonodontogenic cysts in a Turkish Population. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2012 Jan 1; 17 (1):108-15.
- De Souza LB, Gordón Núñez MA, Nonaka CF, de MedeirosMC, Torres TF, Emiliano GB. Odontogenic cysts:
- demographic pro file in a Brazilian population over a 38-year period. Med Oral Pathol Oral Cir Bucal. 2010; 15:583-90.
- Prockt AP, Schebela CR, Maito FD, Sant’Ana Filho M, Rados PV. Odontogenic cysts: analysis of 680 cases in Brazil. Head Neck Pathol 2008; 2:150-6.
- Mosqueda Taylor A, Irigoyen-Camacho ME, DiazFranco MA, Tejero MA. Odontogenic cysts. Analysis of 856 cases Med Oral 2002; 7:89-96.
- Nakamura T, Ishida J, Nakano Y, Ishii T, Fukumoto M, Izumi H,Kaneko K. A study of cysts in the oral region. Cysts of the jaw. J Nihon Univ Sch Dent 1995; 37:33-40.
- Daley TD, Wysocki GP, Pringle GA. Relative incidence of odontogenic tumors and oral and jaw cysts in a Canadian population. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1994; 77: 276-280.
- Shear M. Development of odontogenic cysts, An update. J Oral Pathol Med 1994; 23: 1-11.
- Ochsenius G, Escobar E, Godoy L, Penafiel C.Odontogenic cysts: analysis of 2,944 cases in Chile. Med Oral Pathol Cir Bucal 2007; 12:85–91.
- Bataineh AB, Rawashdeh MA, Al Qudah MA. The prevalence of inflammatory and developmental odontogenic
- cysts in a Jordanian population: a clinicopathologic study. Quintessence Int 2004; 35:815–19.
- Deepashri H, Kambalimath, Kambalimath H. V, Agrawal S.M,
- Singh M, Jain N, Anurag B, Michael P. Prevalence and Distribution of Odontogenic Cyst in Indian Population: A 10 Year Retrospective Study. J. Maxillofac. Oral Surg. 2014;13(1):10.
- Meningaud JP, Oprean N, Pitak-Arnnop P, et al. Odontogenic cysts: a clinical study of 695 cases. J Oral Sci 2006; 48(2):59–62.
- Ledesma-Montes C, Herna´ndez-Guerrero JC, Garce´sOrt?´z M. Clinico-pathologic study of odontogenic cysts in a Mexican sample population. Arch Med Res 2000; 31:373–376.
- Tortorici S, Amodio E, Massenti MF, Buzzanca, Burruano F, Vitale F.Prevalence and distribution of odontogenic cyst in Sicily: 1986–2005. 2008; J Oral Sci 50:15–18
- Ochsenius G, Escobar E, Godoy L, Peñafiel C. Odontogenic cysts: Analysis of 2,944 cases in Chile. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2007;12: 85-91.
- Odontogenic tumors. In: Barnes L, Eveson J, Reichart P, Sidransky D, editors. World Health Organization classification.Pathology and Genetics of Head and Neck Tumors. 3rd ed. Lyon:IARC Press; 2005.283-327.
- Pavelic B, Levanat S, Crni? I, Kobler P, Ani? I, Manojlovi? S, Sutalo J. PTCH gene altered in dentigerous cysts. J Oral Pathol Med. 2001; 30:569-76.
- Wakolbinger R, Beck-Mannagetta J. Long-term results after treatment of extensive odontogenic cysts of the jaws: A review. Clin Oral Investig. 2016; 20:15-22.
- Pogrel MA, Jordan RC. Marsupialization as a definitive treatment for the odontogenic keratocyst. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004; 62:651-5.
- Martin L, Speight PM. Mini-Symposium: Pathology of the jaws. Odontogenic cysts. Diagnostic Histopathology. 2015; 21:359-69.
- Selvamani M, Donoghue M, Basandi PS. Analysis of 153 cases of odontogenic cysts in a South Indian sample population: A retrospective study over a decade Braz Oral Res.2012.
- Weathers DR,Waldron CA. Unusual multilocular cysts of the jaws (botryoid odontogenic cysts) Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol.1973;36:235-41.
- Nxumalo TN, Shear M. Gingival cyst in adults. J Oral Pathol Med. 1992; 21(7):309-13.
How to Cite
Ansari, M.-K., Alam, S., Meraj, F., Ahmad, S. S., & Munir, S. A. K. (2021). Clinicopathological analysis of 847 odontogenic cysts examined over 10 years period: A retrospective study. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 6(2), 114–118. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v6i2.1063