Changes in osteoblast and osteoclast cell count after moringa oleifera leaf extract administration during orthodontic tooth movement
Objective: The aim of this study was to analyze the effect of moringa leaf extract administration at 5%, 10%, and 20% concentration toward osteoblast and osteoclast cell count in tension area of Cavia cobaya tooth movement. Matrial and Methods: This study was an experimental research with post test only control group design conducted on Cavia Cobaya. The samples were divided into 4 groups, namely control group (given orthodontic forces), P1 group (given orthodontic forces and Moringa oleifera extract at 5% concentration), P2 group (given orthodontic forces and Moringa oleifera extract at 10% concentration) and P3 group (given orthodontic forces and Moringa oleifera extract at 20% concentration). The samples were sacrificed in day 15 and the tissue were collected for histological examination to examine osteoblast and osteoclast cell count.Results: The Anova test showed a significant difference of osteoblast and osteoclast cell count among groups (p<0.05).Conclusion: Moringa leaves extract administration at 20% concentration for 7 days shows higher number of osteoblast and osteoclast compared to control group, 5% and 10% extract group.
- Mao Y, Wang L, Zhu Y, et al. Tension force-induced bone
- formation in orthodontic tooth movement via modulation
- of the GSK-3Î²/Î²-catenin signaling pathway. J Mol Histol
- Nagarajan D, Usha K, Rao GU, et al. Biomarkers in
- orthodontics. Int J Oral Heal Med Res 2015;2: 88-90.
- Ariffin SHZ, Yamamoto Z, Abidin IZZ, et al. Cellular and
- molecular changes in orthodontic tooth movement. Sci
- World J 2011;11: 1788-1803.
- Rucci N. Molecular biology of bone remodelling. Clin
- Cases Miner Bone Metab 2008;5: 49-56.
- Baloul SS. Osteoclastogenesis and osteogenesis during
- tooth movement. Front Oral Biol 2016;18: 75-79.
- Dubey DK, Dora J, Kumar A, et al. A multipurpose treemoringa oleifera. J Pharm Chem Sci 2013;2: 415-423.
- Yokomizo A, Moriwaki M. Effects of uptake of flavonoids
- on oxidative stress induced by hydrogen peroxide in
- human intestinal caco-2 cells. Biosci, Biotechnol, Biochem
- ;70: 1317-1324.
- Zhang DW, Cheng Y, Wang NL, et al. Effects of total flavonoids and flavonol glycosides from epimedium koreanum
- nakai on the proliferation and differentiation of primary
- osteoblasts. Phytomedicine 2008;15: 55-61.
- Marupanthorn K, Kedpanyapong W. The effects of moringa oleifera lam. leaves extract on osteogenic
- differentiation of porcine bone marrow derived
- mesenchymal stem cells. Int Conf Adv Agric Biol Ecol Sci
- : 29-32.
- Garlet TP, Coelho U, Repeke CE, et al. Differential
- expression of osteoblast and osteoclast chemmoatractants
- in compression and tension sides during orthodontic
- movement. Cytokine 2008;42: 330-335.
- Domazetovic V. Oxidative Stress in bone remodeling: role
- of antioxidants. Clin Cases Miner Bone Metab 2017;14:
- Vergara-Jimenez M, Almatrafi MM, Fernandez M.
- Bioactive components in moringa oleifera leaves protect
- against chronic disease. Antioxidants 2017;6: 1-13.
- Dudaric L, Fuzinac-Smojver A, Muhvic D, et al. The role
- of polyphenols on bone metabolism in osteoporosis. Food
- Res Int 2015;77: 290-298.
- Torre E. Molecular signaling mechanisms behind polyphenol-induced bone anabolism. Phytochem Rev 2017;16:
- Pang JL, RicuperoDA, Huang S, et al. Differential activity
- of kaempferol and quercetin inattenuating tumor necrosis
- factor receptor familysignaling in bone cells. Biochemical
- Pharmacology 2006;71: 818-826.
- Srivastava S, Bankar R, Roy P. Assessment of the role of flavonoids for inducing osteoblast differentiation in isolated
- mouse bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells.
- Phytomedicine 2013;20: 683-690.
- Horcajada M-N, Offord E. Naturally plant-derived
- compounds: role in bone anabolism. Curr Mol
- Pharmacol 2012;5: 205-218.
- Wattel A, Kamel S, Prouillet C, et al. Flavonoid Quercetin
- decreases osteoclastic differentiation induced by RANKL
- via a mechanism involving NFÎºB and AP-1. J Cell Biochem
- ;92: 285-295.
- Ismardianita E, Nasrul E, Yanwirasti, et al. Effect of ethanol
- extract of myrmecodia pendens on TGF-Î²1 expression
- and osteoblast cells after tooth extraction (experimental
- research on cavia cobaya). J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2017;2:
- Kajiya M, Giro G, Taubman MA, et al. Role of Periodontal
- Pathogenic Bacteria in RANKL-mediated Bone
- Destruction in Periodontal Disease. J Oral Microbiol
How to Cite
Syarif, R. D., Kusumaningsih, T., & Arundina, I. (2020). Changes in osteoblast and osteoclast cell count after moringa oleifera leaf extract administration during orthodontic tooth movement. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 5(2), 98–102. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v5i2.1081