The effectiveness of oral health education and toothbrush training in decreasing plaque index score among Elementary Students in Jakarta
Objective: to know the effectiveness of dental health education on decreasing plaque index score and increasing salivary pH among elementary school children in SD 01 Pagi Kampung Rawa, Central Jakarta. Material and Methods: quasi experimental study with pre and post-test design among 93 students which divided into four groups, group 1: control group, group 2: education group without tooth brushing training, group 3: education with 1 times tooth brushing training and group 4: education + 4 times tooth brushing training. The plaque index assessed by the Personal Hygiene Performance Index (PHP) method. Data analysis performed with Kruskall Wallis, Mann-Whitney, and Wilcoxon using SPSS 23. Results: At baseline there were no significant difference on plaque score among four groups (p>0.05). There was significant decreasing in plaque score after intervention in group 2, 3 and 4 (p< 0.005), but not in group control. When analyzing plaque score after intervention among four groups, there was no significant difference on plaque score between group 1 (control) and group 2. There was significant difference on plaque score between group 1 and group 3 or 4. There were significant difference on plaque score between group 2 and group 3 or 4. There was no significant difference on plaque score between group 3 and group 4. Conclusion: Dental health education with tooth brushing training is an effective way to reduce the plaque index score.
- Animireddy D, Reddy BV, Vallala P, et al. Evaluation of pH, buffering capacity, viscosity and flow rate levels of saliva in caries-free, minimal caries and nursing caries children: an in vivo study. Contemp Clin Dent 2014;5: 324.
- Siagian B. Relationship between eating habits and dental health maintenance with dental caries in SD 060935 children at Jalan Pintu Air II Simpang Gudang Kota Medan. J Info Kesehat Masy 2008;11. (In Indonesia)
- Pullishery F, Shenoy PG, Shenoy R. Parental attitudes and tooth brushing habits in preschool children in Mangalore, Karnataka: a cross-sectional study. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent 2013;6: 156-160.
- Hebbal M, Ankola AV, Vadavi D, et al. Evaluation of knowledge and plaque scores in school children before and after health education. Dent Res J (Isfahan) 2011;8: 189-196.
- Sadana G, Gupta T, Aggrawal N, et al. Evaluation of the impact of oral health education on oral hygiene knowledge and plaque control of school-going children in the City of Amritsar. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent 2017;7: 259-263.
- Darwita R, Novrinda H, Budiharto P, et al. The effectiveness of the joint toothbrush program on the risk of dental caries in elementary school students. J Indones Med Assoc 2011;61: 204-209
- Colaizzi LR, Tomar SL, Urdegar SM, et al. Does the structure of dental hygiene instruction impact plaque control in primary school students?. J Dent Hyg 2015;89: 180-189.
- Wambier LM, Dias G, Bittar P, et al. The influence of tooth brushing supervision on the dental plaque index and toothbrush wear in preschool children. Rev Odontol UNESP 2013;42: 408-413.
- Akbar FH. Relationship of accessibility oral health care with sosiodemografi conditions in urban and rural areas of Indonesia, 2018: Pilot Pathfinder Survey. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2019;4: 163-169.
How to Cite
Umniyati, H., Miegasivia, B., & Zakki, M. (2020). The effectiveness of oral health education and toothbrush training in decreasing plaque index score among Elementary Students in Jakarta. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 5(3), 168–172. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v5i3.1102