The enamel thickness of gestational diabetes mellitus rat offspring
Objective: To determine the molar enamel thickness of rat offsprings born to diabetic rat.Material and Methods: This research used sixteen rat offsprings born to 8 diabetic rats who had been injected with STZ dose of 40 mg / kg and 16 rat offsprings born to 8 control rats. Rat offsprings were decapitated on day 5 after birth and taken right mandibular molar tooth germ. Tooth germ then embedded in paraffin block. Haematoxylin eosin staining performed for histological analysis. Enamel thickness measured on the images using ImageJ Software at 5 field of view.Results: The enamel thickness on the Diabetes Mellitus (DM) group (333.02 ± 135.81 µm) were lower than control group (415.39 ± 146.17 µm). Mann Whitney test results showed a significant difference between the DM and control group.Conclusion: It was concluded that enamel thickness decreases in gestational diabetes mellitus rat offspring.
- Bath-Balogh M, Fehrenbach MJ. Tooth development and eruption. In dental embriology, histology, and anatomy. 2nd ed. St. Louis: Elseviers Saunders; 2006. p. 61-91.
- Hovorakova M, Lesot H, Peterka M, et al. Early development of the human dentition revisited. J Anat 2018;233: 135-145.
- Aminabadi NA, Oskouei SG, Pouralibaba F, et al. Enamel defects of human primary dentition as virtual memory of early developmental events. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospect 2009;3: 110-116.
- Silva-Sousa YTC, Peres LC, Foss MC. Enamel hypoplasia in a litter of rats with alloxan-induced diabetes mellitus. Braz Dent J 2003;14: 87-93.
- American Diabetes Association. Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 2005;28(Suppl 1): 37- 42.
- American Diabetes Association. Gestational diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 2003;26(suppl 1): 103-105.
- Buchanan TA, Xiang AH. Gestational Diabetes Mellitus. J Clin Invest 2005;115: 485-491.
- Hong L, Levy SM, Warren JJ, Brofffitt B. Association between enamel hypoplasia and dental caries in primary second molars: a cohort study. Caries Res 2009;43: 345-353.
- Oliveira AF, Chaves AM, Rosenblatt A. The influence of enamel defects on the development of early childhood finding in a population with low socioeconomic status: A longitudinal study. Caries Res 2006;40: 296-302.
- Hong L, Levy SL, Warren JJ, et al. Association between enamel hypoplasia and dental searches in primary second molars: A cohort study. Caries Res 2009;43: 345-353.
- Dewi N, Syaify A, Wahyudi IA. Effect of gestational diabetes mellitus on the expression of amelogenin in rat offspring tooth germ. Dent J 2013;46: 83-87.
- Paronis E, Samara A, Polyzos A, et al. Maternal weight as an alternative determinant of the gestational day of Wistar rats housed in individually-ventilated cages. Lab Anim 2015;49: 188-195.
- Sharma VK. Streptozotocin: An experimental tool in diabetes and alzheimer's disease (a review). Int J Pharma Res Dev 2010;2: 1-7.
- Lenzen S. The Mechanisms of alloxan- and streptozotocin-induced diabetes. Diabetol 2008;51: 216-226.
- Soewondo W, Effendi SH. The incidence of enamel hypoplasia and hypocalcification in low birth weight children according to teeth type. J Dent 2012;2: 200-205.
- Silva-Sousa YTC, Peres LC, Foss MC. Are there structural alterations in the enamel organ of offspring in rats with alloxan-induced diabetes mellitus?. Braz Dent J 2003;14: 162-167.
- Abbassy MA, Watari I, Bakry AS, et al. Diabetes detrimental effects on enamel and dentine formation. J Dent 2015;43: 589-595
- Sheetal A, Hiremath VK, Patil Ag, et al. Manutrition and its oral outcome. J Clin Diagnostic Res 2013;7: 178-180.
- Nold JL, Georgieff MK. Infants of diabetic mother. Pediatr Clin N Am 2004;51: 619-637.
- Katge F, Poojari M, Sajnani A. Malnutrition and its effects on oral tissues and dentition. Indian J Dent Edu 2011;4: 45-49.
- Agarwall S, Narula S, Faridi MMA, et al. Deciduous dentition and enamel defects. Indian Pediatr 2003;40: 124-129.
- Haggag T, Mahmoud EF. Enamel surface alteration in molars of young rats of diabetic mother. Egypt Dent J 2018;64: 2381-2389.
- Witzel C, Kierdorf U, Dobney K, et al. Reconstructing impairment of secretory ameloblast function in porcine teeth by analysis of morphological alterations in dental enamel. J Anat 2006;209: 93-110.
How to Cite
Dewi, N., Syaify, A., & Wahyudi, I. A. (2021). The enamel thickness of gestational diabetes mellitus rat offspring. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 6(3), 193–196. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v6i3.1130