Therapeutic management of odontogenic abscess in maxillofacial area in patient confirmed covid-19: A case report and literatur review
Objective: The purpose of writing this case report and literature review is to discuss the management of therapy in covid-19 patient with odontogenic abscess in the maxillofacial area.Method: A 65-year-old male patient came to the Ibnu Sina Makassar Hospital, complaining of swelling of the right submandibular blood extending to the buccal, sublingual, submental, and temporal. Patient was in a limp condition, shortness of breath (dyspnea), coughing, difficulty opening his mouth, difficulty eating and swallowing with pulse 121 times / minute, breathing 32 times / minute, and oxygen saturation of 94% (simple mask of 5 lpm). Patient was diagnosed with the right submandibular abscess extending to the right buccal, right temporal, right and left sublingual, and submental with sepsis due to gangrene of tooth root 46. Surgical incision and drainage of the abscess was performed under general anesthesia.Results: Incision and drainage of the abscess in the patient was carried out even with the suspicion that the patient was indicated as having been exposed to covid-19 by following the principle of preventing covid-19 infection.Conclusion: Surgical preparation, appropriate therapeutic management, and proper use of PPE will help provide the best service to patients while protecting medical personnel in the current Covid-19 pandemic era.
- Kim J-K, Lee J-H. Clinical utility of procalcitonin in severe odontogenic maxillofacial infection. Maxillofac Plastic Reconstr Surg 2021;43;242.
- Keswani ES, Venkateshwar G. Odontogenic maxillofacial space infections: a 5-year retrospective review in Navi Mumbai. J Maxillofac Oral Surg 2019;18: 345-353.
- Katoumas K, Anterriotis D, Fyrgiola M, et al. Epidemiological analysis of management of severe odontogenic infections before referral to the emergency department. J Cranio-Maxillofac Surg 2019;47: 1292-1299.
- Zimmermann M, Nkenke E. Approaches to the management of patients in oral and maxillofacial surgery during COVID-19 pandemic. J Cranio-Maxillofac Surg 2020;48: 521-526.
- Wetan NGAAMY, Novianti PA. Surgical strategies in the Era of the COVID-19 Pandemic. JBN 2020;4: 11.
- Tobias JD. Preoperative anesthesia evaluation. Semin Pediatr Surg. 2018;27: 67-74.
- Barca I, Cordaro R, Kallaverja E, et al. Management in oral and maxillofacial surgery during the COVID-19 pandemic: Our experience. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2020;58: 687-691.
- Blackhall KK, Downie IP, Ramchandani P, et al. Provision of emergency maxillofacial service during the COVID-19 pandemic: a collaborative five centre UK Study. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2020;58: 698-703.
- Dexter F, Parra MC, Brown JR, et al. Perioperative COVID-19 defense: an evidence-based approach for optimization of infection control and operating room management. Anesth Analg 2020;131: 37-42.
- Wong J, Goh QY, Tan Z, et al. Preparing for a COVID-19 pandemic: a review of operating room outbreak response measures in a large tertiary hospital in Singapore. Can J Anesth 2020;67: 732-745.
- Sohal KS, Simon ENM, Kalyanyama B, et al. Oral and maxillofacial surgical services amid COVID-19 pandemic: perspective from Tanzania. Trop Med Health 2020;48: 1014.
- Jiang L, Ma H. Surgical protocol in a West China day surgery center during the COVID-19 Pandemic: Practice and experience. Surg Innov 2020;37: 1-5.
- Panesar K, Dodson T, Lynch J, et al. Evolution of COVID-19 guidelines for University of Washington Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery patient care. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2020;78: 1136-1146.
- Coimbra R, Edwards S, Kurihara H, et al. European Society of Trauma and Emergency Surgery (ESTES) recommendations for trauma and emergency surgery preparation during times of COVID-19 infection. Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg 2020;46: 505-510.
- Bertossi D, Barone A, Iurlaro A, et al. Odontogenic orofacial infections. J Craniofac Surg 2017;28: 197-202.
- Guzmán-Letelier M, Crisosto-Jara C, Diaz-Ricouz C, et al. Severe odontogenic infection: An emergency. Case report. J Clin Exp Dent 2017;9: e319-e324.
- Taub D, Yampolsky A, Diecidue R, et al. Controversies in the management of oral and maxillofacial infections. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 2017;29: 465-473.
- Hemalatha VT, Manigandan T, Sarumathi T, et al. Dental considerations in pregnancy-A critical review on the oral care. J Clin Diagnostic Res 2013;7: 948-953.
- Steinberg BJ, Hilton IV, Iada H, et al. Oral health and dental care during pregnancy. Dent Clin North Am 2013;57: 195-210.
- Dalla Torre D, Burtscher D, Höfer D, et al. Odontogenic deep neck space infection as life-threatening condition in pregnancy. Aust Dent J 2014;59: 375-378.
- Yüce M, Filiztekin E, Özkaya KG. COVID-19 diagnosis: A review of current methods. Biosens Bioelectron 2021;172: 112752.
- Liu X, Liu C, Liu G, et al. COVID-19: Progress in diagnostics, therapy and vaccination. Theranostics 2020;10: 7821-7835.
- Amawi H, Abu-Deiab GI, Aljabali AA, et al. COVID-19 pandemic: An overview of epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnostics and potential vaccines and therapeutics. Ther Deliv 2020;11: 245-268.
- Wang L, Lu X, Zhang J, et al. Strategies for perioperative management of general surgery in the post-COVID-19 era: experiences and recommendations from frontline surgeons in Wuhan. Br J Surg 2020;107: e437.
- Kumar J, Raina R. Recommendations for surgery during the COVID-19 pandemic. Indian J Surg 2020;82: 297-298.
- Sebastian A, Antony PG, Jose M, et al. Institutional microbial analysis of odontogenic infections and their empirical antibiotic sensitivity. J Oral Biol Craniofacial Res 2019;9: 133-138.
- Yang SW, Lee MH, See LC, et al. Deep neck abscess: an analysis of microbial etiology and the effectiveness of antibiotics. Infect Drug Resist. 2008;1: 1-8.
- Zhao Z, Gao D. Precaution of 2019 novel coronavirus infection in department of oral and maxillofacial surgery. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2020;58: 250-253.
- Chanda MH. Canina fossa abscess and treatment. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2018;3: 54-57.
How to Cite
Tajrin, A. (2021). Therapeutic management of odontogenic abscess in maxillofacial area in patient confirmed covid-19: A case report and literatur review. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 6(1), 66–70. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v6i1.1182