Stage and grade determination of periodontitis accompanied by systemic conditions and diseases according to American Academy of Periodontology 2017 Classification: Study at Dental Hospital, Faculty of Dentistry, Universitas Indonesia
Objective: Periodontitis is an inflammatory disease of the supporting tissues of the teeth caused by specific microorganisms, resulting in decay of the teeth and damaging of supporting tissues. Systemic conditions and increasing age will affect the periodontal tissue due to amongst others changes in the immune defense system. The classification for periodontal diseases used today is the 1999 American Academy of Periodontology (AAP) classification. The latest development was in 2017, when the AAP published a new classification that classifies periodontitis based on stage and grade and is the classification that is widely used today. Research on determining the stage and grade of periodontitis using the 2017 AAP classification is still very rare in Indonesia.Material and Methods: In this study, a cross sectional analytical descriptive approach was used to determine the stage and grade of periodontitis according to the classification of periodontal disease based on the 2017 AAP in relation to the age of patients with systemic conditions and diseases. A total of 331 medical records from patients treated at the RSKGM FKG UI in the 2017 – 2019 visit were researched.Results: The results have shown that the highest stage and grade in all research subjects was stage III grade C, , this stage and grade was found in subjects who smoke. Different results were found in research subjects with Diabetes Mellitus or Hypertension namely stage III grade B.Conclusion: Patients with hypertension without any systemic disease and non smoking should be advised to request a test for diabetes mellitus.
Keywords: American Academy of Periodontology Classification Diabetes Mellitus Periodontitis Smoking Systemic Disease
- Saini R, Marawar P, Shete S, Saini S. Periodontitis, A True Infection. J Glob Infect Dis 2009;1: 149-150.
- Tonetti MS, Jepsen S, Jin L, et al. Impact of the global burden of periodontal diseases on health, nutrition and wellbeing of mankind: A call for global action. J Clin Periodontol 2017;44: 1-7.
- Kementrian Kesehatan, Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan. Laporan Nasional Riskesdas 2018. Jakarta: Lembaga Penerbit Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan (LPB); 2019. p. 674.
- Kinane DF, Marshall GJ. Periodontal manifestations of systemic disease. Aust Dent J 2001;46: 2-12.
- Newman M, Takei H, Klokkevold P. Periodontal Treatment of Medically Compromised Patients. In: Karimbux NY, editor. Carranza’s Clinical Periodontology. 12th ed. St Louis, Missouri: Elsevier; 2015. p. 420.e1-436.e3.
- Preshaw P, Alba A, Herrera S, et al. Periodontitis and Diabetes: A Two-Way relationship. Diabetol 2012;21: 31.
- Dhadse P, Gattani D, Mishra R. The link between periodontal disease and cardiovascular disease: how far we have come in last two decades?. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2010;14: 148-154.
- Arigbede A, Babatope B, Bamidele M. Periodontitis and Systemic diseases: A literature review. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2012;16: 487-491.
- Chahal GS, Chhina K, Chhabra V, et al. Smoking and its effect on periodontium-Revisited. Indian J Dent Sci 2017;9: 44-51.
- Srinivas S, Parry S. Periodontal disease and pregnancy outcomes: Time to move on?. J Women’s Heal 2012: 121-125.
- Wiebe CB, Putnins EE. The periodontal disease classification system of the american academy of periodontology — An update. J Can Dent Assoc (Tor) 2000;66: 594-597.
- Caton GJ, Armitage G, Berglundh T, et al. A new classification scheme for periodontal and peri-implant diseases and conditions – Introduction and key changes from the 1999 classification. Wiley J Clin Periodontol 2018;45: S1-S8.
- Papapanou PN, Sanz M, Buduneli N, et al. Periodontitis:
- Consensus report of workgroup 2 of the 2017 World Workshop on the classification of periodontal and Peri?Implant diseases and conditions. J Clin Periodontol 2017;45: S162-S170.
- Armitage G. Periodontal diagnoses and classification of periodontal diseases. Periodontol 2000. 2004;34: 9-21.
- Sun HY, Jiang H, Du MQ, et al. The prevalence and associated actors of periodontal disease among 35 to 44-year-old Chinese Adults in the 4th National Oral Health Survey. Chinese J Dent Res 2018;21: 241-247.
- Khan S, Khalid T, Awan KH. Chronic periodontitis and smoking prevalence and dose-response relationship. Saudi Med J 2016;37: 898-894.
- Anandhara IK, Dyah P, Ika PW, et al. The relationship of diabetes, periodontitis and cardiovascular disease. Diabetes Metab Syndr Clin Res Rev 2019;13: 1675-1678.
- Khumaedi AI, Purnamasari D, Wijaya IP, et al. Association of Periodontitis and Arterial Stiffness in Type 2 Diabetic Patients. Acta Med Indones-Indonesi J Intern Med 2018;50: 320-327
- Nascimento GG, Leite FRM, Vestergaard P, et al. Does diabetes increase the risk of periodontitis? A systematic review and meta - regression analysis of longitudinal prospective studies. Acta Diabetol 2018;55: 653-667.
- Soetedjo NNM, Mcallister SM, Ugarte-gil C, et al. Disease haracteristics and treatment of patients with diabetes mellitus attending government health services in. Trop Med Int Health 2018;23: 1118-1128.
How to Cite
Tadjoeddin, E. S., Dewi, N. P., Soeroso, Y., Sulijaya, B., & Natalina, N. (2021). Stage and grade determination of periodontitis accompanied by systemic conditions and diseases according to American Academy of Periodontology 2017 Classification: Study at Dental Hospital, Faculty of Dentistry, Universitas Indonesia. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 6(2), 88–93. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v6i2.1205