Effect of pup out® on caspase 3 and interleukin-1B expression in pulp teeth: a paste contained jatropha, sidaguri, and melittin
Objective: To examine the expression of caspase-3 and IL-1? following application of Pulp Out® on rabbit’s pulp teeth as well as histopathology.Material and Methods: The study was conducted on the maxillary incisors rabbits. The teeth were prepared and Pulp Out® was inserted at the base of prepared cavity, then restored with RM-GIC. After 24 hours, the animals were then euthanized and processed for histopathology and immunohistochemistry evaluation.Results: Our results indicated that Pulp Out®, when administered to the pulp teeth, increased the number and diameter of blood vessels. The expression of caspase-3 and IL-1? showed similarities to the expression of commercial devitalizing agent.Conclusion: Our results revealed that Pulp Out® is a valuable devitalization agent that should be further explored for its safety before clinical application.
- Shalini S, Dorstyn L, Dawar S, et al. Old, new and emerging functions of caspases. Cell Death Differ 2015;22: 526-539.
- Van-Opdenbosch N, Lamkanfi M. Caspases in cell death, inflammation, and disease. Immun 2019;50: 1352-1364.
- Lossi L, Castagna C, Merighi A. Caspase-3 mediated cell death in the normal development of the mammalian cerebellum. Int J Mol Sci 2018;19: e3999.
- Pradeep AR, Suke DK, Prasad MV, et al. Expression of key executioner of apoptosis caspase-3 in periodontal health and disease. J Investig Clin Dent 2016;7: 174-179.
- Yang Y, Jiang G, Zhang P, et al. Programmed cell death and its role in inflammation. Military Med Res 2015;2: e12.
- Rock KL, Kono H. The inflammatory response to cell death. Annu Rev Pathol 2008;3: 99-126.
- Kaneko N, Kurata M, Yamamoto T, et al. The role of interleukin-1 in general pathology. Inflamm Regen 2019;39: e12.
- Guan P-P, Guo J-W, Yu X, et al. The Role of cyclooxygenase-2, interleukin-1? and fibroblast growth factor-2 in the activation of matrix metalloproteinase-1 in sheared-chondrocytes and articular cartilage. Sci Rep 2015;5: e10412.
- Lee C-H, Choi Y, Park S. Mandibular bone necrosis after use of paraformaldehyde-containing paste. Restor Dent Endod 2016;41: 332-337.
- Tanumihadja M, Mattulada IK, Natsir N, et al. Potential combination of sidaguri root extract (Sida rhombifolia L.) and castor gum (Jatropha curcas L.) as a devitalizing agent. ODONTO 2019;6: 14-20. (In Indonesia)
- Tang D, Kang R, Berghe TV, et al. The molecular machinery of regulated cell death. Cell Res 2019;29: 347-364.
- Zille M, Ikhsan M, Jiang Y, et al. The impact of endothelial cell death in the brain and its role after stroke: A systematic review. Cell Stress 2019;3: 330-347.
- Lugano R, Ramachandran M, Dimberg A. Tumor angiogenesis: causes, consequences, challenges and opportunities. Cell Mol Life Sci 2020;77: 1745-1770.
- Honnegowda TM, Kumar P, Udupa EGP, et al. Role of angiogenesis and angiogenic factors in acute and chronic wound healing. Plast Aesthet Res 2015;2: 243-249.
- Mantovani A, Dinarello CA, Molgora M, et al. Interleukin-1 and related cytokines in the regulation of inflammation and immunity. Immunity Rev 2019;50: 778-795.
- Liu X, Guan N. Microglia and CNS interleukin-1 : beyond immunological concepts. Front, Neurol 2018;9: 8.
- Mattulada IK. Histological observation of the dental pulp of M. nemestrina exposed to the sap of Jatropha curcas. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2008;7: 19-25. (In Indonesia)
- Asep S, Hening H, Gema SP, et al. Anticancer activity of jatrophone an isolated compound from Jatropha gossypifolia plant against hepatocellular cancer cell Hep G2 1886. Biomed Pharmacol J 2017;10: 667-673.
- Westman J, Grinstein S, Marques PE. Phagocytosis of necrotic debris at sites of injury and inflammation. Front Immunol 2020;10: e3030.
- Siregar F. Cytotoxicity of physic nut (Jatropha curcas L., Euphorbiaceae) latex by agar-overlay. J Kedokteran YASRI 2015;23: 143-148.
- England H, Summersgill HR, Edye ME, et al. Release of interleukin-1? or interleukin-1? depends on mechanism of cell death. J Biol Chem 2014;289: 15942-15950.
- Hangai S, Ao T, Kimura Y, et al . PGE2 induced in and released by dying cells functions as an inhibitory DAMP. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2016;113: 3844-3849.
- Tanumihadja M, Mattulada IK, Natsir N, et al. Structural assessment of chemical constituent of sidaguri (Sida rhombifolia Linn.) and its ability to inhibit cyclooxygenase. Pesqui Bras Odontopediatria Clin Integr 2019;19: e4773.
- Tanumihardja M, Natsir N, Mattulada IK, et al. Potent anti-inflammatory effect of root of sidaguri (Sida rhombifolia L) on rat periapical lesion model. Int J Toxi Pharm Res 2016;8: 412-415.
How to Cite
Tanumiharja, M., Hamid, A. S., Trilaksana, A. C., Rovani, C. A., Natsir, N., Nugroho, J. J., Mattulada, I. K., & Muslimin, L. (2021). Effect of pup out® on caspase 3 and interleukin-1B expression in pulp teeth: a paste contained jatropha, sidaguri, and melittin. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 6(2), 119–123. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v6i2.1232