An overview of the knowledge, perception and experience of dentists about the utilization of teledentistry as a dental care media in Makassar, Indonesia
Objective: To describe the characteristics, knowledge, perceptions and experiences of dentists regarding the use of teledentistry in Makassar, Indonesia.Methods: A cross-sectional survey with 87 dentists in Makassar as respondents. The service was carried out by distributing questionnaires in the form of statements and questions regarding the use of teledentistry as a dental care medium. This study used univariate analysis.Results: Most of the respondents were aged 31-40 years (43.7%) and 71.3% of the respondents were women. As many as 60.9% of respondents have good knowledge about the use of teledentistry. As many as 80.5% of respondents have a good perception of the use of teledentistry. As many as 58.6% of respondents have no experience in using teledentistry. Conclusion: Generally dentists in Makassar already have a good knowledge in understanding teledentistry as utilization. dental care media. Generally dentists in Makassar have a good perception in interpreting the use of teledentistry as dental care media. Most of the dentists have no experience in the use of teledentistry as dental care media.
- Astoeti TE, Widyarman AS. Teledentistry Faculty of Dentistry Trisakti University: Jakarta. 2020. pp. 1-30.
- Nagarajappa R, Aapaliya P, Sharda AJ, et al. Teledentistry: Knowledge and attitudes among dentists in Udaipur, India. Oral Health Dent Manag 2013;12: 502.
- Murererehe J, Uwambaye P, Isyagi M, et al. Knowledge, attitude and practices of dental professionals in Rwanda towards the benefits and application of teledentistry. F Med Health Science 2017;4: 39.
- Lankarani KB, Ghahramani S, Zakeri M, et al. Lessons learned from national health accounts in Iran: highlighted evidence for policymakers. Shiraz E-Med J 2015;16: e27868.
- Daniel SJ, Kumar S. Teledentistry: A key component in access to care. J Evid Based Dent Prac 2014;14: 201-208.
- Estai M, Kruger E, Tennant M. Optimizing patient referrals to dental consultants: Implication of teledentistry in rural settings. Aust Med J 2016;9: 249.
- Notoatmodjo, Soekidjo. Health education and behavior. Jakarta: Rineka Cipta; 2003.
- Listyana R, Hartono Y. People's perceptions and attitudes towards the Javanese calendar in determining the time of marriage (case study in Jonggrang Village, West District, Magetan Regency in 2013). Agastya J 2015;5: 121-122.
- Prasetya A, Hidayat D. Experiences of informal workers in the midst of the covid-19 pandemic in Bandung City. J Komaskam 2020;2: 20-21.
- Almazrooa SA, Mansour GA, Alhamed SA, et al. The application of teledentistry for Saudi patients' care: A national survey study. J Dent Sci 2021;16: 280-286.
- Amar B. Teledentistry: A novel tool in our arsenal to combat COVID-19. Int J Health Care Qual Assur 2020;4: 77-80.
- Gebreegzabher S. Teledentistry. J Res Prog 2019;2: 84-89.
How to Cite
Samad, R., Pasiga, B. D., Nursyamsi, N., & Aryanto, A. (2021). An overview of the knowledge, perception and experience of dentists about the utilization of teledentistry as a dental care media in Makassar, Indonesia. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 6(3), 180–183. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v6i3.1251