Effect of mangrove leaves extract (avicennia marina) concentration to streptococcus mutans and candida albicans growth
Objective: This study aims to determine the effect of mangrove leaves extract (avicennia marina) concentration to streptococcus mutansandcandida albicansgrowth which is commonly found in removable denture plate.Material and Methods: Production of mangrove leaves extract (avicennia marina) using 96% ethanol solution. Mangrove leaves extract prepared at a concentration of 2.5%, 5%, 7.5%, 10% and control with denture cleaning materials available in the market. Furthermore, tested the bacteria activity ofstreptococcusmutans and candida albicans, then the data were analyzed by One Way ANOVA and Post Hoc Test (Tukey HSD).Results: Statistical analysis of mangrove leaves extract with 2.5% concentration (6.850 Â± 0.127), 5% (7.185 Â± 0.007), 7.5% (8.360 Â± 0.283), 10% (8.485 Â± 0.219) and positive control (9.060 Â±0.226), showed inhibition zone differences are significant (p<0.05). The concentration of 7.5% had optimal inhibition of the growth ofstreptococcusmutans (p<0.05). Mangrove leaves extract to 10% concentration had not shown the effects of inhibition zone against candida albicans.Conclusion: Mangrove leaves extract (avicennia marina) is effective in inhibiting the growth of streptococcus mutans but hasnâ€™t shown inhibition zone against candida albicans until 10% concentration.
- Karthikeyan S, Teny F, Deepthi PV. Denture Stomatitis: a brief review. J Dent & Medical Sci2016;15: 114-116.
- Indira MGC, Wander J da Silva, et al. Influence of substratum position and acquired pellicle on Candida albicans biofilm. Braz Oral Res.,(sao Paulo) 2013;27: 369-375.
- Monroy TB, Victor MM, Fernando FM,et al. Candida albicans, staphylococcus aureus and streptococcus mutans colonization in patients wearing dental prosthesis. Med Oral and Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2005;1: 27-39.
- Sato M, Hironori T, Mioko A,et al. Growth inhibition of oral bacteria related to denture stomatitis by anticandidalchalcones. Aust Dent J 1997;42: 343-346.
- de-Vasconcelos LC,de-Vasconcelos LCS,de-AzevedoELG,et al. Denture hygiene: importance in denture stomatitis control. Rev Gaucha Odontol. Porto Alegra; 2013. p. 255-261.
- A Sala; Recio MD; Giner RM; Manez S; Tournier H; Schinella G; Rios J, Journal of Pharma Pharmacol 2002, 54 (3), 365-371.
- MR Khan; Kihara M; Omoloso AD, Natural product sciences, 2001; 7(1), 9-12.
- RM Perez, Pharmaceutical Biology, 2003, 41, 105-57.
- Nymathullah S Md, Uma Maheswara Rao V. Antibacterial and antioxidant activity of Avicennia marina Leaf. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 2014, 6(10):252-256.
- Madhurima B, Punarbasu C. Antimicrobial potential of leaf extracts of ten mangrove species from indian sundarban. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2014 Jan; 5(1): (P) 294 â€“ 304.
- A. Agnel Ruba, A. Nishanthini, VR Mohan. Pharmacochemical characterisation and in vitro antibacterial efficacy of various extract of avicennia marina (forssk) vierh stem (avicenniaceae) against some infectious bacteria used. International Journal of Universal Pharmacy and Bio Sciences 2(2): March-April 2013.
- Guntra K. Linda R. et al. Influence of plant extracts on the growth of oral pathogens Streptococcus mutans and Candida albicans in vitro. Proceedings of the Estonian Academy of Sciences, 2015, 64, 1, 62â€“67
- S Ganesh, JJ Vennila. Screening for Antimicrobial Activity in Acanthus ilicifolius. Archives of Applied Science Research, 2010, 2 (5):311-315
- TP.Tim Cushnie, Anrew JL. Antimicrobial activity of flavonoids. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents 26 (2005) 343â€“356.
- Nyambuya et al. Alkaloid extracts from Combretum zeyheri inhibit the growth of Mycobacterium Smegmatis. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine (2017) 17:124.
- Guangyi W, Weiping T, Robert RB. Terpenoids As Therapeutic Drugs and Pharmaceutical Agents. January 2005. Natural Products, pp. 197-227.
- Praveen K A, Kumud Upadhyaya. Tannins are Astringent. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry., 2012 ; Vol 1 Issue 3
- Charishma Y, Thiruvengadarajan VS. A review on identification strategy of phyto constituents present in herbal plants. Int. J. Res. Pharm. Sci., 2013; 4(2), 123-140.
- Neil ARG, Frank L van de Verdonk, et al. Candida albicans morphogenesis and host defence: discriminating invasion from colonization. Nat Rev. Microbiol.; 2013 April 12.; 10(2): 112-122
How to Cite
Dharmautama, M., Tetelepta, R., Ikbal, M., & Warti, A. E. (2017). Effect of mangrove leaves extract (avicennia marina) concentration to streptococcus mutans and candida albicans growth. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 2(3), 155–159. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v2i3.436