Angulation change of the third molar tooth in orthodontic treatment
Objective : Impaction of the third molar tooth mandibular is often found in patients with orthodontic treatment. In orthodontic treatment, extraction cases of impaction of the third molar tooth are usually performed, but the patients often refuse this extraction. Extraction of premolar has a good effect on the third molar mandibular angulation during treatment.Material and Methods : This study is a retrospective clinical study with descriptive analytic to find out the effect of the first mandibular premolar tooth extraction to angulation change of the third molar mandibular in orthodontic treatment with a standard edgewise method. Angulation change was performed by comparing the third molar mandibular angulation before and after orthodontic treatment with panoramic radiographs. Angulation of the third molar tooth mandibular was calculated from the angle formed between the long axis of the tooth with the reference line infraorbita.Results : The sample comprised 60 of impacted mandibular third molar region of the left and right regions of 30 patients who had been treated declared cured in clinic of orthodontic specialist of Dentistry Faculty Padjadjaran University. The sample was divided into three (3) groups of patients before treatment angulation of the third molar tooth mandibular under 300, 300 to 600 and above 60o, then measured change of angulation and observed whether it increased, fixed or decreased. Results were analyzed by T- test and Wilcoxon test showed that there was a significant change in angulation of the third molar mandibular in orthodontic treatment with the first premolar tooth mandibular extraction.Conclusion : This study is that the first premolar tooth mandibular extraction affects the angulation of the third molar tooth mandibular after orthodontic treatment.
- Saysel MY, Gokce DM, Iiken K, et al. The effects of first Premolar extraction on third Molar angulations. Angle Orthod 2005;75: 719-722.
- Artun J, Thalib L, Little RM. Third Molar angulation during and after treatment of adolescent Orthodontic patients. Eur J Orthod 2005;27: 590-596.
- Alkuwari HM, Talaket AA, Alsahli RM, et al. Influence of orthodontic treatment with first Premolar extraction on the angulation of the Mandibular third Molar. Saudi Med J 2013;34: 639-643.
- Tarazona B, Vanessa P, Jose M, et al. Influence of first and second Premolar extraction or non-extraction treatments on Mandibular third Molar angulation and position. A comparative study. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2010;15: 760-766.
- Capelli J. Mandibular growth and third Molar impaction in extraction cases. Angle Orthod 1991;61: 223-229.
- Behbeni F, Artun J, Thalib L. Predicting of Mandibular third Molar impaction in adolescent Orthodontic patients. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 2006;130: 47-55.
- Ursi W, Almeida RR, Tavano O, et al. Assasessment Of Mesiodistal axial inclination through panoramic radiography. J Clin orthod 1990;24: 166-173.
- McKee IW, Williamson PC, Lam EW. The accuracy of 4 panoramic unit in the projection of Mesiodistal tooth angulation. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 2002;121: 166-175.
- Gohilot A, Pradhan T, Keluskar KM. Effect first Premolar extraction on maxillary and Mandibular third Molar angulation after Orthodontic therapy. J Oral Biol Craniofac Res 2012;2: 97-104.
- McMinn R, Hutchinggs R, Logan BM. Color atlas of head and neck anatomy. 2nd ed. Barcelona: Mosby wolf; 1994. p. 10-16.
- Dierkes DD. An investigation of the Mandibular third Molars in Orthodontic cases. Angle Orthod 1975;45: 207-212.
- Ke HF, Wang CL, Liu L, et al. Effects of first Premolar extractions on third Molar angulations. Shanghai Kou Qiang Yi Xue 2006;24: 228-230.
- Guo XH, Qian YF, Feng QP. Effects of different Premolar extraction on lower third Molar eruption. Shanghai Kou Qiang Yi Xue 2007;16: 370-373.
- Risse G. The Angulation of Uppert 1st Permanent Molars, The Key to Functional Occlusin. J Comp Dentof Orthod & Orthop 2004;1: 20-32.
How to Cite
Pawinru, A. S. (2017). Angulation change of the third molar tooth in orthodontic treatment. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 2(1), 40–45. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v2i1.448