Management pain and anxiety in endodontic treatment
Objective : Dental pain is a common symptom that most often causes patient to seek dentist. A survey conducted by the American Association of Endodontics revealed that more than half patients who come to dentist have experienced pain, which originate from the teeth or of the surrounding tissue, can causes difficulties in handling, also the anxiety of the patient. Understanding the pain experienced by patient will help dentist to determine when to make an action. Most patient being fear with pain, so they delay to get treatment from dentist, and lead to the development of further infection and inflammation. The aim of this paper is to improve the understanding of pharmacology and procedures for pain and anxiety management in endodontic treatment. So, it is important to determine accurate diagnosis, management and drug administration.
- Egea SJ, Cabello CR, Carerras LM, et al. Pain associated with rooth canal treatment. Int Endontic J 2009;42: 614-620.
- Mehrvarzfar PV, Abbott MA , Delvarani SA, et al. Effects of three oral analgesics on postoperative pain following rooth canal preparation a controlled clinical trial. Int Endontic J 2012;46: 76-82.
- Torabinejad M, Walton RE. Endodontics principle and Preactice. 4th ed. St.Louis: Saunders Elsevier; 2009. p. 129-143.
- Osbim K, Isbi T, Ogura Y, et al. Clinical investigation of patients who develop neuropathic tooth pain after Endodontic proceducer. J Endo 2009;35: 958-961.
- Risso AP, Antonio JI, Marcos CP, et al. Postoperative pain and associated factors in adolecent patients undergoing two visit root canal therapy. JC Austra Society Endo 2008;35: 89-92.
- Cohen S, Burns R. Pathways of the pulp 8th ed. Mosby Elsevier; 2011. p. 40-46.
- Endodontics colleaques for excellence winter 2015 Aâ€3Dâ€ approach for treating acute pain. Chicago: American association of Endodontists; 2015. p. 1-6.
- Chong BS. Hartyâ€™s endodontics in clinical practice 6th ed. Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2010. p. 14-15.
- Moderesi J, Dianat O, Soluti A. Effect of the pulp inflamation on nerve impulse quality with or without anesthesia. JOE 2008;34: 38-41.
- Pochapski TM, Santos AF, Andrade DE, et al. Effect of preTreatment on postendodontic pain JOE 2009;108: 790-795.
- Endodontics colleagues for excellence management of acute pain. Chicago: American Association of Endodontists; 1995. p. 1-4.
How to Cite
Sumidarti, A., & Dwiandhany, W. S. (2017). Management pain and anxiety in endodontic treatment. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 2(1), 4–6. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v2i1.462