Successful treatment of herpes simplex-associated erythema multiforme with a combination of acyclovir and prednisone
Objective: Erythema Multiforme (EM) is an acute mucocutaneous hypersensitivity reaction triggered by certain infections and medications. EM induced by virus infection termed as Herpes- associated Erythema Multiforme (HAEM). The use of corticosteroids for treating HAEM has been a long debate issue. The aim of this case report is to present a patient with HAEM who was successfully treated with acyclovir combined with prednisone.Methods:A 31-years-old female, presented with a complaint of pain and diffuse ulcers in mouth. The patient reported recurrent episode of the ulcers of the mouth during the last two years. On extra oral examination, lips were crusted and bleeding. Intraoral examination revealed multiple diffuse ulcerations on mucosa. Nolesions were seen in other part of the body. Laboratory investigation revealed normal complete blood count and positive HSV-1 serology. The patient was diagnosed as HAEM.The patient was treated with acyclovir (1000 mg/day) and prednisone (10mg/day), topical mixture corticosteroid, chlorhexidine gluconate 0.2% and multivitaminduring seven days.Results:All lesions healed without any further clinical sequelae within 7 days.The clinical success of corticosteroids as effective anti-inflammatory agents is largely attributed to their ability to reduce the expression of pro-inflammatory genes, help to maintain vascular integrity and decrease the expression of leukocyte adhesion molecules.Conclusions:The addition of prednisone to acyclovir for HAEM resulted in a significant reduction of clinical signs and symptoms during the first week. The combination of acyclovir and corticosteroids may play an important role in the standard care for HAEM.
- Samim F, Auluck A, Zed C, et al. Erythema multiforme. A review of epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical features, and treatment. Dent Clin North Am 2013;57: 583-596.
- Aadya, Singh HP, Kaur P, et al. Research and Reviews : Journal of Dental Sciences management of erythema multiforme secondary to herpes simplex by systemiccorticosteroid. Res Rev J Dent Sci 2013;1: 45-49.
- Jitender SSG. Recurrent erythema multiforme : a dental case report. Glob Res J Public Heal Epidemiol 2015;2: 71-74.
- Parvinderjit S, Kohli JK. Erythema multiforme-oral variant: case report and review of literature. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2011;63: 10-13.
- John K, John MW, Carolyn KDH. Misdiagnosis of erythema multiforme: aliterature review and case report. Pediatr Dent 2012;34: 337-343.
- Osterne RLV, Matos BRGD, Pacheco IA, et al. Management of erythema multiforme associated with recurrent herpes infection: a case report. J Can Dent Assoc2009;75: 597-601.
- Kishore M, Panat SR, Aggarwal A, et al. Herpes associated erythema multiforme-a diagnostic dilemma. Int J Sci Study 2013;1: 82-86.
- Joseph K, Avi L, Joshua S, et al. Herpes simplex-associated erythema multiforme (HAEM): a clinical therapeutic dilemma. Pediatr Dent 1999;21: 359-362.
- Bajaj P, Sabharwal R, Pk RM, et al. Erythema multiforme: classification and immunopathogenesis. J Adv Med Dent Sci 2013;1: 40-47.
- Alfar MY, Alrousan M, Almajali Z, et al. The use of corticosteroids in management of herpes associated erythema multiforme. J Pak Med Assoc 2015;65: 1351-1353.
- Davis K, Smith C, Halpern L, et al. Erythema multiforme associated with herpes simplex virus : a case report and literature review. J Dent Oral Disord 2016;2: 2-5.
- Bulat V, LugoviÃ¦, Liborija MS. Prominent features and variations in clinical presentation of erthema multiforme. Acta Clin Croat 2007;46: 55-62.
- Maharani Laillyza Apriasari RPR. Immunopathological aspects of oral erythema multiforme. Dent J 2009;42: 159-163.
- Oliveira LRZ. Erythema multiforme minor : arevision. Am J Infect Dis 2008;4: 224-231.
- Michele R. Lamoreux, Marna R. Sternbach WTH erythema multiforme. Am Fam Physician 2006;74: 1883-1888.
- Kapse A. Herpes-associated erythema multiforme minor. JPediatric Infect Dis 2012;4: 37-38.
- Kamala KA, Ashok L, Annigeri RG. Herpes associated erythema multiforme. Contemp Clin Dent 2011;2: 372-375.
- Krithika SS. Acute Oral Ulceration in young lady-erythema multiforme. World J Pharm Sci 2016;5: 542-547.
- Zonable RR. Antiviral drugs for viruses other than human immunodeficiency virus. Mayo Clin J 2011;86: 1009-1026.
- Jacinto OMSAS. Erythema multiforme associated with herpes labialis Jacinto. CMAJ 2013;185: 20.
How to Cite
Muryah, A. E., & Sufiawati, I. (2017). Successful treatment of herpes simplex-associated erythema multiforme with a combination of acyclovir and prednisone. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 2(3), 191–193. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v2i3.484