Comparison of enamel hardness after dental bleaching agent application strawberry gel and carbamide peroxide 10%
Objective: Carbamide peroxide 10% is commonly used in home bleaching procedure. Effectiveness of carbamide peroxide bleaching process as a home bleaching has no successor yet, but its use is still being debated due to the effects on oral cavity. Strawberries are one of natural ingredients that currently used to whiten decolorized teeth because it contains ellagic acid and malic acid. On contrary, malic acid is said to be involved in the process of erosion. The aim of this study was to compare tooth enamel hardness after application of dental bleaching agent carbamide peroxide 10% and strawberry gel.Material and Methods: Sample consists of 30 maxillary incisors were divided into 3 groups. The first group as control soaked in aquades. The second treatment group were applied with carbamide peroxide 10%Â and a third group applied with strawberry gel. Before and after the sample application, tests were performed to determine the hardness of tooth enamel as measured using Universal Hardness Tester.Results: Based on Friedman test, p-value = 0,000 (p <0,05; significant). This means that there was a significant difference in tooth enamel surface hardness of each group and treatment group using bleaching carbamide peroxide 10% and strawberry gel.Conclusion: There was a decrease on tooth enamel hardness after application of carbamide peroxide 10%Â compared strawberry gel.
- Kose C. Comparison of the effects of in-office bleaching times on whitening and tooth sensitivity: a single blind, randomized clinical trial. Operative Dentistry 2016;41: 138-145.
- Yusri Y, Trilaksana A, Rovani C. Antioxidant effectivity to decrease coronal microleakage of composite resin restoration after intra-coronal bleaching. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2016;1: 158-162.
- Fauziah C. Colour change of email after application of bilimbi. J Dent Indonesia 2012;19: 53-56.
- Cvikl B. Email surface changes after exposure to bleaching gels containing carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide. Operative Dentistry 2016;41: 1-9.
- Margaretha. Perubahan warna email gigi setelah aplikasi gel buah stroberi dan gel karbamid peroksida 10%. Material Dent J 2009;1: 16-20.
- Larasati DM. Effectiveness of ellagic acid that contains in strawberry for acrylic discoloration. J APDSA 2012;3: 1-9.
- Seow WK. Erosive effect of common beverages on extracted premolar teeth. Aust Dent J 2005;50: 173-175.
- Blambert P, Qian F, Kwon SR. Erosion potensial of tooth whitening regimens ad evaluated with polarized light microscopy. J Contemp Dent Pract 2015;16: 921-925.
- Marcella MA, Wahyudi IA, Puspita RM. Effect of coffee, tea and milk consumption on tooth surface hardness (invitro study). Jurnal PDGI 2014;63: 15-18.
- Adhani R, Widodo, Sukmana B.I, Suhartono E. Effect pH on Demineralization Dental Erosion. Int J Chem Eng Appl 2015;6: 138-141.
- Elossais AA, Bigarella GD, Pereira NR, et al. Correlation between pH and surface structural changes on human enamel submitted to different tooth whitening agents. Scientific J Dent 2014;1: 8-13.
How to Cite
Asmawati, A., & Rieuwpassa, I. E. (2018). Comparison of enamel hardness after dental bleaching agent application strawberry gel and carbamide peroxide 10%. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 3(1), 17–19. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v3i1.626