Management of maxillary labial frenum with comparison of conventional and incision below the clamp techniques: a case report
Objective: Describes and compare the procedure of superior labial frenum frenectomies with conventional technique and incision below the clamp technique.Methods: Two female patient came to Departement of periodonsia, Unhas Dental Hospital to have frenectomies. The first patient was 28 year old with labialis superior frenulum reached attached gingiva, gingival recession 1-2 mm with calculus deposits, and referred to do frenectomy with Incision below the Clamp. While the second patient was 15 year old with labialis superior frenulum extend up to palatine papilla, central diastema and referred to do frenectomy with conventional technique.Results: The conventional techniques is done by engaged the frenum by a haemostat that inserted into the depth of the vestibule, and incision were placed on the upper and the under surface of haemostat, then followed by suturing the wound and periodontal pack. Insision below the clamp technique is done by placing a hemostat in position adjacent and parallel to the lip mucosa, and incision carried out below the clamp, then followed by suturing at the mucolabial fold and periodontal pack.Conclusions: Patients were very satisfied with the results that achieved. Technique Incision below the Clamp is an alternative treatment with good aesthetic and less bleeding during frenectomies by using a scalpel.
- Nowazari H, Rich S K, Moslemi N, Johari M, Farahani R. Smile Enhancement Through Periodontal Surgery. Thrita 2015;4: 1-6.
- Priyanka M, Sruthi R, Ramakrishnan T, et al. An Overview of frenal attachments. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2013;17: 12-15. 3. Devishree, Gujjari SH, Shubhashini PV. Frenectomy: a review with the reports of surgical techniques. J Clin Diagn Res 2012;6: 1587-1592.
- Reddy S. Essentials of clinical periodontology and periodontics. 3rd ed. India: Jaypee; 2011. p. 372-375.
- Cho N, Jeon H, Ko Y, et al. Maxillary labial frenum and its relationship to developing dentition in Koarean children. J Korean Acad Pediatr Dent 2014;41: 266-270.
- Delli K, Sculean A, Katsaros C, et al. Fact and myth regarding the maxillary midline frenym and its treatment: A systematic review of the literature. Quintessence Int 2013;44: 177-187.
- Reddy S, Abdelmagyd H, Shetty S, etal. Minimal invasive periodontal surgery: a review. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2017;2: 81-85.
- Sharma P, Salaria SK, Gowda RKN, et al. Frenectomy-a brief review. Int J Contemporary Med Res 2014;1: 37-52.
- Lawande SA, Lawande GS. Surgical management of abberrant labial frenum for controlling gingival tissue damage: a case series. Int J Biomed Res 2013;4: 574-578.
- Patel RM, Varma S, Suragimath G, et al. Comparison of labial fenectomy procedure with conventional surgical technique and diode laser. J Dent Lasers 2015;9: 94-99.
How to Cite
Thahir, H., Djais, A. I., Wendy, S., Achmad, M. H., & Akbar, F. H. (2018). Management of maxillary labial frenum with comparison of conventional and incision below the clamp techniques: a case report. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 3(1), 61–66. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v3i1.634