The importance of surveying in determining denture design in partially removable
Objective: The purpose of making partially removable dentures is for the rehabilitation of tooth loss situations, mastication, esthetics and improving the health of the oral tissues. Some patients are dissatisfied with removable denture primarily at the time of functioning, the denture becomes unstable, so clinicians are expected to understand how to maximize every opportunity to provide and stabilize artificial denture by using surveyors.Methods: The references in this review are taken from textbook and internet search using Google with key words was carried out. Full text articles in English that were published from 1981 to 2014 are presented. In this review explains about surveying in prosthodontics. Surveyor is a tool for alignment used in making artificial teeth to find and describe the contours and positions of abutment teeth and related structural structures. The goal is to analyze the model for the best path of insertion selection.Results: A fundamental requirement in understanding the use of surveyors is to prevent the inappropriateness of path of insertion. To get a good guide plane should be done surveying. This guide plane is one of the important factors in determining the path of insertion and the stability of partially removable denture.Conclusion: The dentist should precisely control the use of surveyors in the manufacture of partially removable dentures. Thus it will produce a stable denture and can support the mastication function.
- Javid YP. Assessment of partially edentulous patients based on kennedyâ€™s classification and its relation with gender predilection. International J Scientific Study 2014;2: 32-36.
- Marion B, Emmanuel N, Marine S, et al. Impact of removable partial denture prosthesis on chewing efficiency. J Appl Oral Sci 2013;21: 392-396.
- Bezzen OL, Mattos, Ribero. Surveying removable partial dentures: the importance of guiding planes and path of insertion for stability. The J Prosthetic Dentist 1997;78: 412-418.
- John SM. The path of palcement of a removable partial denture: a microscope based approach to survey and design. J Adv Prosthodont 2015;7: 76-84.
- Cotmore JM, E.B.Mingledorf EB, Pomerantz JM, et al. Removable partial denture survey: Clinical practice today. JPD 1983;49: 321-327.
- Carl FD, Martin AF, Albert DG. The glossary of prosthodontic terms. JPD 1956;117; 1-34.
- Carr AB, Mcgivney GP, Brown DT. McCrackenâ€™s removable partial prosthodontics. 12 th ed. Minnesota: Elsevier Mosby; 2010. p. 608.
- Krikos AA. Preparing guide planes for removable partial dentures. 1975;34: 152-155.
- John E, Holt DMD. Guiding planes: when and where. JPD 1981;46: 4-6.
How to Cite
Arafi, A., & Habar, I. D. (2017). The importance of surveying in determining denture design in partially removable. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 2(3), 147–149. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v2i3.635