Asymmetric mandible identification using Cone Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT)
Objective: To determine Â the prevalence of patients with asymmetric mandible based on age, gender, and severity that examined Â using CBCT section of the Dental and Oral Hospital of Hasanuddin University.Material and Methods: Secondary data from dental records (CBCT data) of patients at Dental and Maxillofacial Department in Dental and Oral Hospital of Hasanuddin University from January 2014 - March 2016 were examined. The data collected to calculate the prevalence of asymmetric mandible from CBCT image and then presented in tabular form.Results: From this researchÂ it is foundÂ that the age group 36-50 years was the top ranked in prevalence of asymmetric mandible, and there is no significant difference between the number of male and female patients.Conclusion: Asymmetric mandible caused by pathological factors have the highest incident
- Miloro M. Petersonâ€™s principles of oral and maxillofacial surgery. 2nd ed. Hamilton: BC Decker; 2004.
- Venkatesh E, Elluru SV. Cone beam computed tomography: basics and applications in dentistry. J Istanb Univ Fac Dent 2017;51: S102-S121.
- Chia MS, Naini FB, Gill DS. The aetiology, diagnosis and management of mandibular asymmetry. Ortho update 2008;1: 44-52.
- Kritzler K. CBCT imaging vs conventional radiography. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2017;152: 146-148.
- Epsilawati L. CBCT analysis in osteoradionecrosis case followed by hyperbaric oxygen treatment (a case study). J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2016;1: 67-72.
- Kailash S. CBCT-Cone Beam Computed Tomography. J Dent Educ 2014;1: 9-15.
- Ludlow JB, Ivanovic M. Comparative dosimetry of dental CBCT devices and 64-slice CT for oral and maxillofacial radiology. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2008;106: 106-114.
- Cheong YW, Lo LJ. Facial asymmetry: etiology, evaluation, and management. Chang Gung Med J 2011;34: 341-351.
- Allgayer S, Mezzomo FS, Polido WD, et al. Orthodontics-surgical treatment of skeletal facial asymmetry: case report. Dent press J orthod 2011;16: 100-110.
- Yanez GOR, Stewart A, Franken E, et al. Prevalence of mandibular asymmetries in growing patients. Euro J Ortho 2011;33: 236-242.
- Maheshwari S, Verma SK, Gaur A, et al. Diagnosis and management of facial asymmetries. J Ortho Res 2015;3.
- Gribel BF, Thiesen G, Borges TS, Freitas MPM. Prevalence of mandibular asymmetry in skeletal class 1 adult patients. JRD-J Res Dentist Tubarao 2014;2.
- Wahyuni A, Yunus M, Ruslin M. The difference uses of panoramic photo and cbct evaluation of the gnathoplasty surgery outcome. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2017;2: 110-113.
- Yunus B, Amalia R. Detecting osteoporosis in elderly women with panoramic radiography technique. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2016;1: 155-157.
- Vico RMY, Linares AI, Lagares DT, et al. Diagnostic of craniofacial asymmetry. Literarure review. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2010;15: e494-e498.
How to Cite
Yunus, B., Mailili, Z. R., & Wulansari, D. P. (2019). Asymmetric mandible identification using Cone Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT). Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 4(1), 36–38. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v4i1.666