Sialolithotomy and sialodochoplasty of giant sialolith in the submandibular duct: a case report
Objective: To report a case of giant sialolith in the submandibularduct in which sialolithotomy and sialodochoplasty procedures wereperformed with an intraoral and extraoral approach.Method: A 47 years old male patient reported a complaint of swellingin the left lower jaw which triggered discomfort, particularly wheneating. The extraoral examination found 50 mm sized swelling thatwas firm in consistency, not painful and showed the same colour asthe tissue in the left submandibular region. Meanwhile, the intraoralexamination indicated a 5 mm sized whitish firm mass on the mucosalfloor of the mouth. The panoramic radiograph examination showeda multiple radiopaque mass in the left mandible with a well-definedborder. A multiple mass was found by the CT-scan examination inthe left submandibular region and floor of the mouth. Sialographicexamination described a total obstruction in the left submandibularduct and allegedly chronic inflammation-induced sialolith.Results: Sialolithotomy was done with an intraoral and extraoralapproach after which sialodochoplasty was also performed to insertthe pediatric feeding tube no. 8 aiming to retain the shape andfunction of the submandibular duct.Conclusion: Treating giant sialolith with sialolithotomy followedby sialodochoplasty has given a satisfactory result without anycomplication and recurrence.
- Carlson ER, Ord RA. Textbook and color atlas of salivary
- gland pathology-diagnosis and management. Sialolithiasis.
- Wiley- Blackwell; 2008. p. 109-122.
- Williams MF. Sialolithiasis. Otolaryngol Clin North Am
- ;32: 819.
- Rai M, Burman R. Giant submandibular sialolith of
- remarkable size in the comma area of Whartonâ€™s duct: a
- case report. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2009;67: 1329-1332.
- Pasquale C, Francesco O, Raffaele M, et al. Extracorporeal
- lithotripsy for salivary calculi: a long term clinical
- experience. Laryngoscope 2004;114: 1069-1073.
- Manchil RD, Kannan K. A giant sialolith in whartonâ€™s duct.
- J Indian Acad Oral Med Radiol 2013;25: 326-329.
- Paul D, Chauhan MS. Salivary megalith with a sialocutanousand
- sialo-oral fistula: a case report. Eur Arch
- Otorhinolaryngol 1995;109: 767.
- Fefar AD, Jivani PS, Mehta MR. A huge salivary calculi of
- the submandibular gland: a case report with the review of
- literature. J Med Res 2015;1: 5-7.
- Han PS, Kim Y, Yoo TS, et al. Sialodochoplasty stents: cost
- analysis and outcomes. J Oral & Maxillofac Surg 2017;75:
- Su CH, Lee KS, Tseng TM. Post-sialendoscopy ductoplasty
- by salivary duct stent placements. Eur Arch
- Otorhinolaryngol 2016;273: 189-195.
- Nurwahida, Hardianto A, Rizki KA. Multiple sialolithiasis
- of submandibular gland: a case report. J Dentomaxillofac
- Sci 2017;2: 129-132.
How to Cite
Novendra, B. P., Rahardjo, R., & Rahajoe, P. S. (2018). Sialolithotomy and sialodochoplasty of giant sialolith in the submandibular duct: a case report. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 3(2), 119–122. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v3i2.712