The speech ability on maxillary denture wearer: a systematic review
Objective: Getting information about on influence of denture bases design on speech ability on maxillary denture wearer.Methode: Electronic search in PubMed and Wiley online library databases to find articles that were published in last 20 years; between January 1998 to December 2017 with keywords â€œdenture basesâ€ and â€œspeechâ€. The articles were then selected by reviewing the title and abstract.Result: The initial search obtained 52 articles. Then selected by involving the inclusion criteria. Finally, it gain 2 articles only that suitable with the inclusion criteria.Conclusion: Speech ability is usually not the main complain of denture wearer. Subjects with inappropriate design of the prosthetic base, disposition of artiï¬cial teeth and functional quality (retention, support, stability) have dyslalia when pronunciation of separate phonemes is changed.
- Balu K. Speech in prosthodontics, type of literature: commentary. JIADS 2011;2: 79-81.
- Giovannetti M, Casucci A, Casucci D, et al. Phonetic analysis and maxillary anterior tooth position: a pilot study on preliminary outcomes. Int Dent SA 2011;5: 32-39.
- Akbar FH, Anwar AI. The Correlation between denture usage satisfaction on quality life of the elderly. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2017;2: 100-104.
- Al-Magaleh WR, Swelem AA, Shohdi SS, et al. Setting up of teeth in the neutral zone and its effecton speech. Saudi Dent J 2011;24: 43-48.
- Ozbeki M, Tulunoglu I, Ozkan S, et al. Evaluation of articulation of Turkish phonemes after removable partial denture application. Braz Dent J 2003;14: 125-131.
- Scarsellone JM, Rochet AP, Wolfaardt JF. The influence of dentures on nasalance values in speech. Cleft PalateCraniofac J 1999;36: 51-56.
- Bortun C, Leretter M, Sandu L, et al. Phonetic evaluation of the edentulous patient correlated with the various settings of the artificial teeth. Serb Dent J 2004;51: 93-99.
- Stelzle F, Ugrinovic B, Knipfer C, etal. Automatic,computerbased speech assessment on edentulous patients with and without complete dentures preliminary results. J Oral Rehabil 2010;37: 209-216.
- Knipfer C, Rieman M, Bocklet T, et al. Speech intelligibity enhancement after maxillary denture treatment and its impact on quality of life. Int J Prosthodontics 2014:27: 61-69
How to Cite
Muchtar, M., & Habar, I. D. (2018). The speech ability on maxillary denture wearer: a systematic review. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 3(1), 1–4. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v3i1.731