A comparative study of connective tissue graft and platelet rich-fibrin in the treatment of gingival recession using coronally advanced flap: a systematic review
Objective: To compare the effects of platelet-rich fibrin (PRF) and connective tissue graft (CTG) in gingival recession treatment using coronally advanced flap (CAF)Methods: Electronic Pubmed, Wiley, and EMBASE searches were conducted to identify articles published in dental journals without any restrictions of publication date. Gingival recession depth (RD), keratinized tissue width (KTW), probing depth (PD), clinical attachment level (CAL) and % complete root coverage (CRC) were evaluated at baseline and 6 months. Patients with discomfort postsurgery was measured by comparing visual analog scale (VAS) scores. Manual searches of human clinical trial and related articles were performed afterward. There are 31 studies explained about this, but only 6 studies met the inclusion criteriaResults: The initial database search produced 221 titles. All articles were selected for full-text review. Six studies were selected for inclusion, with 88 patients as subjects. Most of the studies showed the decreased of RD, PD, CAL and the increased of KTW in both techniques at baseline and 6 months follow up. The percentage of CRC showed higher in CTG rather than PRF whereas VAS score showed lower in PRF groupConclusion: Both PRF + CAF and CTG + CAF techniques are effective procedures in the treatment of gingival recession. The combination of CAF+CTG achieved a better result in root coverage however, PRF avoids a donor site, which means a major decrease in postoperative discomfort.
- Eren G, Atilla G. Platelet-rich fibrin in the treatment of localized gingival recessions: a split-mouth randomized clinical trial. Clin. Oral Investig 2013;18: 1941-1948.
- Isler SC, Ozcan G, Ozcan M, et al. Clinical evaluation of combined surgical/restorative treatment of gingival recession-type defects using different restorative materials: A randomized clinical trial. J Dent Sci 2017: 1-10.
- Kumar A, Bains VK, Jhingran R, et al. Patient-centered microsurgical management of gingival recession using coronally advanced flap with either platelet-rich fibrin or connective tissue graft : a comparative analysis. Contemp Clin Dent 2017;8: 293-304.
- Iv C, Atanasov D, Vicheva D, et al. Research article comparative evaluation of the treatment of gingival recessions with connective tissue graft and platelet-rich platelet rich fibrin membrane. J Den & Med Sci 2016;15: 2012-2016.
- Moraschini V, Barboza ESP. Use of platelet-rich fibrin membrane in the treatment of gingival recession: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Periodon 2016;87: 281-90.
- Uraz A, Sezgin Y, Yalim M, et al. Comparative evaluation of platelet-rich fibrin membrane and connective tissue graft in the treatment of multiple adjacent recession defects: a clinical study. J Dent Sci 2015;10: 36-45.
- Oncu E. The use of platelet-rich fibrin versus subepithelial connective tissue graft in treatment of multiple gingival recessions : a randomized clinical trial. Int J Periodontics & Restorative Dent 2017;37: 265-271.
- Tunali M, Ozdemir H, Arabaci T, et al. Clinical evaluation of autologous platelet-rich fibrin in the treatment of multiple adjacent gingival recession defects : a 12-month study. Int J Periodontics & Restorative Dent 2015;35: 105-114.
- Jankovic S, et al. Use of platelet-rich fibrin membrane following treatment of gingival recession : a randomized clinical trial use of platelet-rich fibrin membrane recession : a randomized clinical trial. Int J Periodontics & Restorative Dent 2012;32: e41-e50.
- Tengkawan M, Oktawati S, Djais AI. Penanganan resesi gingiva miller klas I-II menggunakan platelet-rich fibrin dan subepithelial connective tissue graft Treating gingivalrecessionMiller â€™ s class I IIusing platelet-rich fibrin and subepithelial connective tissue graft. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2013;12: 169-174.
- Eren G, Kantarci A, Sculean A, et al. Vascularization after treatment of gingival recession defects with platelet-rich fibrin or connective tissue graft. Clin Oral Invest 2015.
How to Cite
Djais, A. I., & Medikawaty, R. (2018). A comparative study of connective tissue graft and platelet rich-fibrin in the treatment of gingival recession using coronally advanced flap: a systematic review. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 3(3), 132–135. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v3i3.743