Single-file reciprocating system for curved canals preparation: a case report
Objective: Preparation of curved canal is the ultimate challenge in endodontic treatment. Various incidents could occur during preparation such as ledges, perforations, and zip. Modification instruments have been made to avoid those incidents, can be used according to the canal shape. Reportedly, rotary reciprocating instrument can be used for curved canals because it can maintain canal shape, with or without little alignment. This case report discusses the use of a single file reciprocating system for the preparation of curved canal in the second molar left mandible.Methods: A 22-years-old male patient came to Dental Hospital Hasanuddin University complained about decay of his molar left mandible and felt pain while eating. Radiographic imageÂ Â appearsÂ Â normal at 37 with curved canals in mesial roots and straight canal in distal root along with thickening of periodontal ligament space. Endodontic treatment was performed with preparation of curved canals using rotary WaveOne GOLD file in mesial root and Protaper Universal in distal root. Restoration was done with metal onlay.Results: The results of the preparation maintain the curved canal shape.Conclusions: Preparation ofÂ Â curved canal using a single file reciprocating system can maintain the original canal shape and bring out good result.
- Grande NM, Plotino G, Ahmed HMA, et al. The reciprocating movement in endodontics. Endod practice 2016: 28-33.
- Dhingra A, Ruhal N, Miglani A. Evaluation of single-file systems reciproc, oneshape, and WaveOne using cone beam computed tomography-an in vitro study. J Clin Diagn Res 2015;9: 30-34.
- Amaral P, Forner L, Llena C. Smear layer removal in canals shaped with reciprocating rotary systems. J Clin Exp Dent 2013;5: 227-230.
- Darmiani S, Bidabadi MM. Root canal treatment in a dilacerated maxillary first molar: a case report. IJDR 2014;2: 14-15.
- Saber SEDM, Nagy MM, Schafer E. Comparative evaluation of the shaping ability of WaveOne, Reciproc and oneShape single-file systems in severely curved root canals of extracted teeth. Int Endod J 2014: 1-6.
- Villela AM, Kato AS, Rios MA, et al. Fracture incidence of reciproc instruments in endodontic treatment provided by graduate students-a retrospective study. J Dent Oral Health 2017;3: 2-4.
- Chole D, Burad PA, Kundoor S, et al. Canal transportation-a threat in endodontics: a review. IOSR-JDMS 2016;15: 64-72.
- Alsilani R, Jadu F, Alhazzazi TY. Single file reciprocating systems: a systematic review and meta-analysis of the literature: comparison of reciproc and WaveOne. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent 2016;6: 402-409.
- Goenawan M, Nugroho JJ, Rovani CA, et al. Effectivity of convex triangular and rectangular cross section instruments on decreasing the amount of root canal enterococcus faecalis bacteria colonies. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2016;1: 113-117.
- Hargreaves KM, Berman LH, Rotstein I. Cohenâ€™s pathways of the pulp. 11th ed. St Louis: Elsevier; 2011. p. 209-213.
- Aracena D, Betancourt P, Borie E, et al. Waveone: a simple and safe way to perform an endodontic treatment. Int. J. Odontostomat 2014;8: 207-210.
- Vieira CAJ, Dessaune NN, Costa RVR, et al. Transportation assessment in simulated curved canals after preparation with twisted file adaptive and bt-race instruments. J Clin Exp Dent 2017;9: 1136-1140.
- Sharma P, Goel M, Verma S, et al. entering a new era in endodontics with revolutionary single file systems: A comprehensive review. EC Dental Sci 2016;5: 1100-1122.
- Parimoo D, Gupta R, Tomer A, et al. Single file endodontics: boon or myth? Asian Pac J Health Sci 2016;3: 102-105.
- Dhingra A, Srivastava P, Chadda D, et al. Simplify your endodontics with single file systems- Case reports. IOSR-JDMS 2013;6: 44-51.
- Van-der, Vyver PJ, Jonker C. Clinical review reciprocating instruments in endodontics: a review of the literature. SADJ 2014;69: 404-409.
- Dâ€™Amario M, De Angelis F, Mancino M, et al. Canal shaping of different single-file systems in curved root canals. J Dent Sci 2017;12: 328-332.
- Webber J. Shaping canals with confidence: WaveOne GOLD single-file reciprocating system. International Dentistry-African edition 2015;6: 6-17.
- Ansari I, Maria R. Managing curved canals. Contemp Clin Dent 2012;3: 237-241.
- Mossa AM, Al-Hamer N, AL-Ghatam R. Endodontic treatment of a first mandibular molar with severely curved roots. IJPCDR 2017;4: 1-3.
- Elsaka SE, Elnaghy AM, Badr AE. Torsional and bending resistance of WaveOne Gold, Reciproc and Twisted File Adaptive instruments. Int Endod J 2017;50: 1077-1083.
How to Cite
Asrianti, A., & Natsir, N. (2018). Single-file reciprocating system for curved canals preparation: a case report. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 3(3), 188–191. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v3i3.746