A comparative study of platelet rich fibrin and bone graft in intrabony defect treatment: A systematic review
Objective: To compare the result of treatment using platelet rich fibrin and bone graft in intrabony defect cases.Methods: Pubmed and Wiley online searches were conducted to identify articles published in dental journals from January 2013 to December 2017 focusing on platelet rich fibrin and bone graft in intrabony defect treatment. Manual searches of published full-text articles and related reviews were performed afterwards. There are 135 studies found, but only 4 studies met the inclusion criteria. Results: The initial database search produced 135 articles. All articles were selected for full-text review. A total 4 studies were selected for inclusion, with 107 patients as subjects. All of the studies showed the decreased of probing depth (PD), clinical attachment loss (CAL), intrabony defect (IBD) or radiograph defect depth (RDD) after 9 months follow up. The differences between baseline and clinical outcome measurement showed that single treatment using bone graft is the best result.Conclusion: single treatment using bone graft showed better result than other treatments, such as PRF or combination PRF and bone graft.
- Dr K. Malathi MD. Periodontal regeneration of an intrabony osseous defect withncombination of platelet rich fibrin and bovine derivedndemineralized bone matrix: a case report. IOSR J Dent Med Sci 2013;4: 20-26.
- Miron RJ, Mealey BL, Wang H. Use of Platelet Rich Fibrin for Periodontal Regeneration / Repair of Intrabony and Furcation Defects r r. 2017.
- Drismayanti I, Jubhari EH. Perbandingan tingkat keberhasilan implan antara osteogenesis distraksi dengan autogenous bone graft Ratio of successful rate of dental implan between distraction osteogenesis with autogenous bone graft 2012;11: 180-186.
- Sezgin Y, Uraz A, Taner IL, et al. Effects of platelet-rich fibrin on healing of intra-bony defects treated with anorganic bovine bone mineral. Braz Oral Res 2017;31: 1-11.
- Sutherland D, Bostrom M. Grafts and bone graft substitutes. Bone Regen Repair 2005: 133-156.
- Olate S, Duque-Netto H, Klüppel-LE, et al. Comparison of bone graft healing between autogenous bone, blood clot and anorganic bovine bone matrix: radiographic and histological analyses. Int J Morphol 2013;31: 1257-1262.
- Patel KG, Gujjari KS, Kumar SCV. Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF) in regeneration of intrabony defects- a randomized controlled trial. J Periodontol 2017;1: 1-14.
- Bajaj P, Agarwal E, Rao NS, et al. Autologous platelet rich fibrin in the treatment of 3-wall intrabony defects in aggressive periodontitis - a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Periodontol 2017: 1-9.
- Galav S, Chandrashekar K, Mishra R, et al. Comparative evaluation of platelet-rich fibrin and autogenous bone graft for the treatment of infrabony defects in chronic periodontitis: clinical, radiological, and surgical reentry. Indian J Dent Res 2016;27: 502.
- Pradeep AR, Bajaj P, Rao NS, et al. Platelet-Rich fibrin combined with a porous hydroxyapatite graft for the treatment of three-wall intrabony defects in chronic periodontitis: a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Periodontol 2012: 1-8.
How to Cite
Djais, A. I., & Siswanto, H. (2020). A comparative study of platelet rich fibrin and bone graft in intrabony defect treatment: A systematic review. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 5(3), 137–140. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v0i0.747