Periodontal management of the elderly with medical compromise: a case report
Objective: The aim of the periodontal treatment is to provide healthy and functional dentition all through a lifetime. The primary objective of this case report is to describe that periodontal disease in the elderly complicated by medical compromise should be treated and the results will be very satisfactory.Methods: Female 68 year old with cardiovascular disease took Amlodipine and Aspirin medication since two months ago. Patients complained of enlarged gingiva, all of the teeth become mobility. Periodontal surgery is performed by previously referring back to the internist to prepare patient condition facing periodontal surgery.Results: After several fase periodontal treatment, the gingival inflamation demonstrated a good control and periodontal status become more stable.Conclusion: Although managing periodontal disease in elderly is complicated, the proper control of the periodontal infection and inclusion of other healthcare professionals will improve the prognosis and get a satisfactory result. In fact, studies demonstrate that elderly individuals whose comprehensive management includes dental care develop fewer co-morbid conditions and require less expenditure of healthcare rupiahs.
- Badan Pusat Statistika. Statistik penduduk lanjut usia. Stat Pendud Lanjut usia 2014: 1-239.
- Socransky SS. Periodontal microbial ecology. EBSCOhost 2005;38: 135-187.
- Palomo JM. Periodontal diseases and quality of life. Biomed J Sci Tech Res 2017;1: 10-12.
- Persson GR. Dental geriatrics and periodontitis. Periodontology 2000 2017;74: 102-115.
- Lamster IB. Geriatric periodontology: how the need to care for the aging population can influence the future of the dental profession. Periodontology 2000 2016;72: 7-12.
- Scannapieco FA, Cantos A. Oral inflammation and infection, and chronic medical diseases: implications for the elderly. Periodontology 2000 2016;72: 153-175.
- Ajwani S. Periodontal disease in an aged population, and its role in cardiovascular mortality. Academic dissertation of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Helsinki 2003;3.
- L.R-Malo, Bullon P. Review influence of the periodontal disease, the most prevalent inflammatory event, in peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors linking nutrition and energy metabolism. Int J Molecullar Sci 2017;18: 1438.
- Boehm TK, Scannapieco FA. The epidemiology, consequences and management of periodontal disease in older adults. JADA 2007;138: S26-S34.
- Cafiero C. Review article periodontal care as a fundamental step for an active and healthy ageing. The Scientific World Journal 2017.
- Bahruddin T, Dian A. Status jaringan periodontal dan kebutuhan perawatan jaringan periodontal pada manula Suku Bugis dan Suku Mandar. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2007.
- Tonetti MS. Dental caries and periodontal diseases in the ageing population: call to action to protect and enhance oral health and well-being as an essential component of healthy ageing-Consensus report of group 4 of the joint EFP/ORCA workshop on the boundaries between caries and periodontal diseases. J Clin Periodontol 2017;44(suppl 18): s135-s144.
- Renvert S, Persson GR. Treatment of periodontal disease in older adults. Periodontology 2000 2016;72: 108-119.
- Kaur G. Association between calcium channel blockers and gingival hyperplasia. J Clin Periodontol 2010;37: 625-630.
- Amit B, Shalu BV. Gingival enlargement induced by anticonvulsants, calcium channel blokers, immunouppressants: Review. Int Res J Pharmacy 2012;3: 116-119.
- Chouksey A, Awasthi N, Rai J, et al. Association of drug-induced gingival enlargement (calcium channel blockers) and local factors: Who is the culprit?. Int Dent & Med J Adv Res 2017;3: 1-4.
- Bagtzoglou AD. Drug-associated gingival enlaegement. J Periodontol 2004;75: 1424-1431.
- Chaturvedi R, Jain A. Amlodepine induced gingival enlargement-presentation of a clinical case series. J Clin Exp Dent 2011;3(Suppl1): e390-394.
- Gilbert AD. Management of periodontal disease in elderly patient. Periodontol 2006;3: 195-203.
- Narhi T, Syrjala AM. Dental diseases and their treatment in the older population. TandlÃ†gebladet 2017: 121-151.
- Chou YH, Yang YH, Kuo HC, et al. Periodontal surgery improves oral health-related quality of life in chronic periodontitis patients in Asian population. Kaohsiung J Med Sci 2017;33: 523-529.
How to Cite
Sembiring, I. A., & Adam, A. M. (2019). Periodontal management of the elderly with medical compromise: a case report. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 4(1), 59–62. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v0i0.748