Gingival overgrowth following mechanical trauma during tooth preparation: a case report
Objective: To explain the management of gingival overgrowth caused by mechanical trauma during tooth preparation.Method: In this case report, a patient experience gingival overgrowth one day after trauma during tooth preparation for bridge. The patient feel severe paint especially when the inflamed gingiva is bitten during occlusion. In intraoral examination overgrowth is localized red to pink white, firm nodule gingiva. Management of the patient is surgical removal of the overgrowth gingivaResults: After one week of operation, the gingiva shows a good healing and no recurrency.Conclusion: Gingival overgrowth may develop as a result from trauma or chronic irritation. The High speed rotary instrument may also make the trauma in the gingiva during tooth preparation. The carefully is needed when using this instrument.
Keywords: Gingival overgrowth Reactive gingival lesion Gingival abscess Mechanical trauma Tooth preparation
- Agrawal AA. Gingival enlargements: differential diagnosis and review of literature. World J Clin Cases 2015;3: 779-789.
- Beaumont J, Chesterman J, Kellett M, et al. Gingival overgrowth: part 1: aetiology and clinical diagnosis. Br Dent J 2017;222: 85-91.
- Buchner A, Shnaiderman-Shapiro A, Vered M. Relative frequency of localized reactive hyperplastic lesions of the gingiva: a retrospective study of 1675 cases from Israel. J Oral Pathol Med 2010;39: 631-638.
- Rossmann JA. Reactive lesions of the gingiva : diagnosis and treatment options. Open Pathol J 2011;5: 23-32.
- Lai B, Muenzer J, Roberts MW. Idiopathic gingival hyperplasia: a case report with a 17-year followup. Case Rep Dent 2011;986237: 1-6
- Omori K, Hanayama Y, Naruishi K, et al. Gingival overgrowth caused by vitamin C deficiency associated with metabolic syndrome and severe periodontal infection: a case report. Clin Case Reports 2014;2: 286-295.
- Trackman PC, Kantarci A. Connective tissue metabolism and gingival overgrowth. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 2004;15: 165-175.
- Gandhi B, Dhuvad, Jigar; et al. Reactive lesions of oral cavity. Natl J Integr Res Med 2016;7: 154-157.
- Neville BW, Damm DD, Allen CMBJ. Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology. 3rd ed. China: Saunders; 2009.
- Kadeh H, Saravani S, Tajik M. Reactive hyperplastic lesions of the oral cavity. Iran J Otorhinolaryngol 2015;27: 137-144.
- Hunasgi S, Koneru A, Vanishree M, et al. Assesmentof reactive ginival lesions of oralcavity: a histopatological study. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol 2017;21: 30-35.
- de-Santana ST, Martins-Filho PRS, Piva MR, et al. Focal fibrous hyperplasia: a review of 193 cases. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol 2014;18(Suppl 1): S86-89.
- Gandhi B, Dhuvad JJABD. Reactive lesions of oral cavity. Natl J Integr Res Med 2016;7.
- Mergoni G, Meleti M, Magnolo S, et al. Peripheral ossifying fibroma : a clinicopathologic study of 27 cases and review of the literature with emphasis on histomorphologic features. 2015;19: 17-21.
- Bhasin M, Bhasin V, Bhasin A. Case report peripheral ossifying fibroma. Reports Dent 2013;497234: 153-155.
- Shukla P, Dahiya V, Kataria P, et al. Inflammatory hyperplasia : from diagnosis to treatment. 2014;18: 7-9.
- Herera D, Alonso B, de-Arriba L , et al. Acute periodontal lesions. Periodontol 2000 2014;65: 149-177.
- Dhanda J, Thomas M, Kheraj A. High speed laseration. Br Dent J 2008;204: 351.
- Kollar JA, Wentz FM, Orban B. The reaction of clinically normal gingiva to abrasive injury. J Periodontol 1955;262: 95-98.
- Verma E, Jhawar A. Defense mechanisms of gingiva. J Orofac Res 2014;4: 111-114.
- Chesterman J, Beaumont J, Kellett M, et al. Gingival overgrowth : part 2 : management strategies. Nat Publ Gr 2017;222: 159-165.
- Ballini A, Scattarella A, Crincoli V, et al. Surgical treatment of gingival overgrowth with 10 years of follow-up. Head Face Med 2010;6: 1-7.
- Funde S, Baburaj MD, Pimpale SK. Comparison between laser , electrocautery and scalpel in the treatment of drug-induced gingival overgrowth : a case report. 2015;1: 27-30.
- Campos L, Gallottini M, Pallos D, et al. High-power diode laser on management of drug-induced gingival overgrowth: report of two cases and long-term follow-up. J Cosmet Laser Ther 2018;0: 1-5.
- Tjiptoningsih, Umi G. "Enlargement gingival treatment on teeth 11 and 21. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2016;1: 377-384.
How to Cite
Sulastrianah, S., & Oktawati, S. (2019). Gingival overgrowth following mechanical trauma during tooth preparation: a case report. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 4(2), 114–116. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v0i0.749