Regenerative approach in the treatment of grade II furcations: a case report
Objective: A grade II furcation involvement has been defined as a defect having a horizontal loss attachment of 3 mm or greater but not through the entire furcation. There are several techniques used alone or in combination considered to achieve periodontal regeneration. This case report aims to describe regenerative approach in the treatment of grade II furcation defects in maxillary molars. Method: A-43-years old male reported to the Department of Periodontics with a complaint of pain. At the initial visit, scaling and root planning was done. It was followed by periodontal regenerative therapy using bone graft and resorbable membranes.Results: The treatment for overall seemed success with healthy periodontium and complete closed defect with bone fill, based on the clinical and radiographic development of Â the patient at the end of six month follow up.Conclusion: The regenerative approach such as resorbable GTR membrane with bone material was more effective than open debridement alone, in the treatment of furcation defects.
Keywords: Bone graft Furcation defect Guided Tissue Regeneration Periodontitis Periodontal treatment
- Nandkeoliar T, Ajay KEG, Dangi M, et al. Furcation-An unsolved mystery. Int J Clin Res 2014;2: 32-35.
- Sanz M, Jepsen K, Eickholz P, et al. Clinical concepts for regenerative therapy in furcations. Periodontol 2000 2015;68: 308-332.
- Najim U, Slotte C, Norderyd O. Prevalence of furcation-involved molars in a swedish adult population. A Radiographic Epidemiological Study 2016.
- Parihar AS, Katoch V. Furcation Involvement and Its Treatment: A Review. J Adv Med & Dent Sci Res 2015;3: 81-87.
- Walter C, Weiger R, Zitzmann Nu. Periodontal surgery in furcation-involved maxillary molars revisited â€” an introduction of guidelines for comprehensive treatment. Clin Oral Invest 2011;15: 9-20.
- SÃ¡nchez-PÃ©rez A, Moya-Villaescusa MJ. Periodontal disease affecting tooth furcations. A Review of The Treatments Available 2009;14: 10-13.
- Newman MG, Takei HH, Klokkevold PR, et al. Carranzaâ€™s clinical periodontology. 11th ed. 2012. p. 34-44.
- Niklaus PL, Jan L. Clinical periodontology and implant dentistry. Wiley-Blackwell 2015.
- Avila-Ortiz G, Buitrago Jg De, Reddy Ms. Periodontal regeneration-furcation defects: a systematic review from the AAP regeneration workshop. J Periodontol 2015;5.
- Khanna D, Malhotra S, Naidu DV. Treatment of grade II furcation involvement using resorbable guided tissue regeneration membrane: a six-month study. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2012;16: 404-410.
- Mapara M, Jagtap R, Kanagotagi S, et al. Treatment of bilateral furcation involvements with bonegraft and bioabsorbable barriers. J Contemporary Dentist 2012;2: 20-24.
- Marinescu A, Carligeriu V, Nica L, et al. Evaluation of treatment techniques for advanced ( grade ii â€“ iv ) furcation defects : a literature review of the regenerative methods. TMJ 2011;61: 115-124.
- Bhatnagar MA, Deepa D. Management of grade II furcation defect in mandibular molar with alloplastic bone graft and bioresorbable guided tissue regeneration membrane : a case report. Int J Periodontol & Implantol 2016;1: 96-99.
- Verma PK, Srivastapa R, Gautam A, et al. Multiple regenerative techniques for class II furcation defect. Eur J Gen Dent 2012;1: 90-93.
- Sharma A, Pradeep AR. Autologous platelet-rich fibrin in the treatment of mandibular degree II furcation defects: a randomized clinical trial. J Periodontol 2011;82: 23-25.
- Pretzl B, Kim T, Holle R, et al. case series: long-term results of guided tissue regeneration therapy with non-resorbable and bioabsorbable barriers IV a case series of infrabony defects after 10 years. J Periodontol 2008;79: 1491-1499.
- Reynolds MA, Aichelmann-Reidy ME, Branch-Mays GL. Regeneration of periodontal tissue : bone replacement grafts. Dent Clin N 2010;54: 55-71.
- Santana RB, de-Mattos LCM, Van-Dyke T. Efficacy of combined regenerative class II furcation defects. J Periodontol 2009;80.
- Villar Cc, Cochran DL. Regeneration of periodontal tissues : guided tissue regeneration. Dent Clin Na 2010;54: 73-92.
- Aichelmann-Reidy Me, Avila-Ortiz G, Klokkevold PR. Periodontal regenerationâ€” furcation defects: practical applications from the AAP regeneration workshop. Clin Adv Periodontics 2015;5.
- Tammama T, Syamsudin E, Faturrachman. Alveolar cleft closure with iliac bonegraft: a case report. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2017;3: 37-40.
How to Cite
Thahir, H., & Setiawati, D. (2019). Regenerative approach in the treatment of grade II furcations: a case report. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 4(1), 55–58. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v0i0.750