Combination of platelet rich fibrin and carbonate hydroxyapatite alloplastic bone graft as periodontal tissue engineering in management of chronic periodontitis: a case report
Objective:Chronic periodontitis lesions include loss of attachment and bone and are regarded as irreversible. Conventional procedures cannot restore the periodontal tissue to its original form. Periodontal tissue engineering is regenerativemedicine novel therapy by either implanting biomaterials. Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF) as second generation platelet and Carbonate Hydroxyapatite (CHA) alloplastic bone graft can be used in surgical therapy because ease, inexpensive method and does not need any addition of exogenous compounds and a second surgical site and procedure. This case report aims to evaluate the clinical and radiographic effectiveness combination of both for the treatment of chronic periodontitis.Methods:A 21-year-old female was reported with chief complaint tooth mobility. Initial examination revealed grade two mobility ofÂ 35 with 9 mm distobuccal and distolingual pocket depth. The Periapical radiograph revealed a large diffused periapical radiolucency in relation to 35. Periodontal surgery was done and the osseous defect was filled with CHA bone graft and PRF.Results:There was a significant change in pocket depth and grade of mobility six months after surgery to 3 mm and grade one mobility.Radiographs showed resolution of an osseous defect.Conclusion:It was concluded that combined PRF with CHA bone graft can be used to treat chronic periodontitis as simple technique periodontal tissue engineering.
- Han J, Menicanin D, Gronthos S, et al. Stem cells, tissue engineering and periodontal regeneration. Aust Dent J. 2014;17: 117-130.
- Iwata T, Yamato M, Ishikawa I, et al. Tissue engineering in periodontal tissue. The anatomical Record 2014;25: 16-25.
- Babo PS, Reis RL, Gomes ME. Periodontal tissue engineering: current strategies and the role of platelet rich hemoderivatives. J Mater Chem B 2017;5: 3617-3628.
- Ivanovski S, Vaquette C, Gronthos S, et al. Multiphasic scaffolds for periodontal tissue engineering. J Dent Res 2014;XX: 1-10.
- Giannobile W V. Regenerative medicine for periodontal and peri-implant diseases.J Dent Res 2015: 1-12.
- Carter SSD, Costa PF, Vaquette C, et al. Additive biomanufacturing: an advanced approach for periodontal tissue regeneration. Ann Biomed Eng 2017;45: 12-22.
- Kumar G, Mds P, Kumar S, et al. Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF) in regeneration of intrabony defects-a randomized controlled trial. J Periodontol 2017: 1-14.
- Miron RJ, Zucchelli G, Pikos MA, et al. Use of platelet-rich fibrin in regenerative dentistry: a systematic review. Clin Oral Investig 2017;21: 1913-1927.
- Shah M, Deshpande N, Bharwani A, et al. Effectiveness of autologous plateletâ€‘rich fibrin in the treatment of intra â€‘ bony defects : A systematic review and metaâ€‘analysis. J indian Soc periodontol2014;18: 698-704
- Najeeb S, Khurshid Z, Agwan MAS, et al. Regenerative potential of platelet rich fibrin (prf) for curing intrabony periodontal defects: a systematic review of clinical studies. Tissue Eng Regen Med. 2017;14: 735-742.
- Verma A, Srivastava S, Khurshid S, Parveen F, Pandey P.Platelet Rich Fibrin : a promising innovation in regenerative. J Evolution of Med and Dent Sci. 2015;4: 5748-5756.
- Agrawal I, Chandran S, Nadig P . Comparative evaluation of the efficacy of platelet rich fibrin and calcium phosphosilicate putty alone and in combination in the treatment of intrabony defects : a randomized clinical and radiographic study. Contemp Clin Dent 2018;8: 205-210.
- Ogawa K, Miyaji H, Kato A, et al. Periodontal tissue engineering by nano beta- tricalcium phosphate scaffold and fibroblast growth factor-2 in one-wall infrabony defects of dogs. J Periodontal Res 2016: 1-10.
- M DF, Panda S, Nd J, et al. Autologous platelet concentrates for treatment of periodontal defects (Protocol).Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014;12: 1-8.
- Gk P, Pc D, Sisodia N, et al. Platelet rich fibrin in management of complex endoperio cases. Kathmandu Univ Med J 2017;15: 101-104.
- Castro AB, Meschi N, Temmerman A, et al. Regenerative potential Leucocyte-platelet rich fibrin (L-PRF) part A intrabony defects, furcation defects, periodontal Plast surgery A Syst Rev meta-analysis. 2016.
- Bartold PM, Gronthos S, Ivanovski S, Fisher A, Hutmacher DW. Tissue engineered periodontal products. J Periodontal Res. 2016;51: 1-15.
- Calasans-maia MD, Raposo B, Guldqd DM. Cytocompatibility and biocompatibility of nanostructured carbonated hydroxyapatite spheres for bone repair. J Appl Oral Sci 2015;23: 599-608.
- Surbakti A, Oley MC, Prasetyo E. The comparison between carbonate apatite and hydroxy apatite use in the process of closing the calvarian defect using platelet rich plasma.J Biomedic 2017;9: 107-114.
- Anton, Rahajoe PS, Dwirahardjo B. Sandwich Bone Augmentation (SBA) in immediate implant placement post-dentoalveolar trauma: a case report. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2017;2: 197-200.
How to Cite
Djais, A. I., & Nurfaisah, N. (2020). Combination of platelet rich fibrin and carbonate hydroxyapatite alloplastic bone graft as periodontal tissue engineering in management of chronic periodontitis: a case report. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 5(1), 62–65. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v0i0.753