Association between periodontal disease and prostate cancer
Objective: The aim of this literature review was to study the underlying mechanisms of the association between Periodontal disease and Prostate Cancer.Methods: This study is literature review study, pubmed searching was used to find scientific article about association of periodontal disease and Prostate CancerResults: Study about the Association between Periodontal disease and Prostate cancer by 12-year Longitudinal Cohort Study in South Korea usingÂ MultivariateÂ Cox proportional Hazard Regression Analysis Periodontal Disease show a significantly and positively association with Prostrate Cancer. There may exist shared underlying genetic factors that increase the risk of both periodontal disease and cancers. Periodontitis might be associated with increased cancer risk, particularly with hematological, breast and prostate cancers. Direct correlation between periodontal disease and prostrate cancer is still unclear. It was hyphotesized that microorganisms involved in chronic periodontitis may directly induce mutations in the tumor-suppresor genes and proto-oncogenes or alter the signalling pathways that in turn stimulates cancer growthConclusion: Periodontal disease may associate to prostate cancer by mutation induction in tumor-suppresor genes.
- Lee JH, Hye-In Kweon H, Kyu-Choi J, et al. Association between Periodontal disease and Prostate cancer: Results of a 12-year Longitudinal Cohort Study in South Korea. J Cancer 2017;8: 2959-2965.
- Dizdar O, Hayran M, Guven DC. Increased cancer risk in patients with periodontitis CMRO 2017: 1473-4877.
- Aurora M, Weuve J, Fall K, et al. An exploration of shared genetic risk factors between periodontal disease and cancers: a prospective co-twin study. Am J Epidemiol 2010;171: 253-259.
- Michaud DS, Kelsey KT, Papathanasiou E, et al. Periodontal disease and risk of all cancers among male never smokers: an updated analysis of the Health Professionals Follow-up Study. Ann Oncol 2016;27: 941-947.
- Zambon JP, de-Mendonca RR, Wroclawski ML, et al. Cardiovascular and metabolic syndrome risk among men with and without erectile dysfunction: case-control study. Sao Paulo Med J 2010;128: 137-140.
- Djais AI, Tope VY. Effectiveness of siwak salvadora persica extract to aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans as one of pathogenic bacteria causing periodontal disease. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2017;2: 35-39.
How to Cite
Aji, N. R., & Herawati, D. (2019). Association between periodontal disease and prostate cancer. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 4(1), 1–2. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v4i1.755