Finish line for full coverage crown: A systematic review
Objective: To find the mostly used type of finish line for each types of full coverage crown.Methods: an initial search was conducted from PubMed database and Wiley Online Library to evaluate article about finish line and material types of full coverage crown. The keywords used were “finish line” and “fixed prosthodontics”. The initial results of this search were 175 articles. Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic reviews and Meta-Analysis (PRISMA) guidelines and Population/Problem, Intervention, Comparison/Control, and Outcome (PICO) questions were used for manual selection. After manual selection, there were only 4 articles that met the inclusion criteria, focusing on the number of each type of materials for full coverage crown.Results: From these 4 articles, two were in vivo study and another two were in vitro study, with a total samples 140. The samples used in those articles were all-ceramic, all-metal, and zirconia crowns. Two articles did not mention about instrument (bur) and only 3 articles mention about impression materials.Conclusion: in all-metal and all-ceramic crown articles, chamfer finish line were mostly used, but, in zirconia crown article, both rounded shoulder and shoulder-less/knife-edge were equally used.
- Hey J, Schweyen R, Kupfer P, et al. Influence of preparation design on the quality of tooth preparation in preclinical dental education. J Dent Sci 2017;12: 27-32.
- Machmud E. The design of fixed denture preparations affects the health of the periodontal tissue. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2008;7: 13-18. (In Indonesia)
- Jalalian E, Zarbakhsh A, Mohtashamrad Z, et al. In Vitro effect of porcelain firing cycle and different thicknesses of IPS E.max CAD Core on marginal accuracy of all-ceramic restorations. J Dent (Tehran) 2015;12: 815-822.
- Tsiagali V, Kirmanidou Y, Pissiotis A, et al. In Vitro assessment of retention and resistance failure loads of teeth restored with a complete coverage restoration and different core materials. J Prosthodont 2017;0: 1-8.
- McCracken MS, Louis DR, Litaker MS, et al. Impression techniques used for single-unit crowns: findings from the national dental practice-based research network. J Prosthodont 2017;0: 1-11.
- Srilekha M, Abirami G. Awareness of different types of finish lines of tooth preparation among working dental students- A questionnaire based study. J Pharm Sci Res 2016;8: 1210-1211.
- Agustín-Panadero R, Solá-Ruíz MF, Chust C, et al. Fixed dental prostheses with vertical tooth preparations without finish lines: a report of two patients. J Prosthet Dent 2016;115: 520-526.
- Liberati A, Altman DG, Tetzlaff J, et al. The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: Explanation and elaboration. PLoS Med 2009;6: 1-25.
- Wallace BC, Kuiper J, Sharma A, et al. Extracting PICO sentences from clinical trial reports using supervised distant supervision. J Mach Learn Res 2016;17: 1-25.
- Vigolo P, Mutinelli S, Biscaro L, et al. An in vivo evaluation of the fit of zirconium-oxide based, ceramic single crowns with vertical and horizontal finish line preparations. J Prosthodont 2015;24: 603-609.
- Akin A, Toksavul S, Toman M. Clinical marginal and internal adaptation of maxillary anterior single all-ceramic crowns and 2-year randomized controlled clinical trial. J Prosthodont 2015;24: 345-350.
- Taha D, Spintzyk S, Schille C, et al. Fracture resistance and failure modes of polymer infiltrated ceramic endocrown restorations with variations in margin design and occlusal thickness. J Prosthodont Res 2018;62: 293-297.
- Shillingburg HT, Sather DA, Wilson EL, et al. Fundamentals of fixed prosthodontics. 4th Ed. Oklahoma: Quintessence Publishing Co, Inc; 2012.
- Jalalian E, Aletaha NS. The effect of two marginal designs (chamfer and shoulder) on the fracture resistance of all ceramic restorations, inceram: an in vitro study. J Prosthodont Res 2011;55: 121-125.
- Poggio CE, Dosoli R, Ercoli C. A retrospective analysis of 102 zirconia single crowns with knife-edge margins. J Prosthet Dent 2012;107: 317-321.
- Jubhari EH, Machmud E, Hasminar, et al. The effect of fabrication techniques of temporary crowns on the gingiva health. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2019;4: 133-136.
How to Cite
Jubhari, E. H., & Lesal, E. (2021). Finish line for full coverage crown: A systematic review. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 6(1), 1–4. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v0i0.775