Comparison of latex and nitrile glove on total bacterial colonisation onclinical students at the Department of Oral and Maxilofacial Surgery Faculty of Dentistry Universitas Sumatera Utara March-May 2018
Objective: WearingÂ glove is one form of self protection from blood, saliva and other body fluids secretion exposure or when health workerâ€™s hand in contact with patientâ€™s mucous membrane during treatment/procedure. The type of glove material could affect its ability to prevent bacterial contamination on hand and the most common type of gloves used are nitrile and latex based material.Material and Methods: This is an experimental research with a post-test only design approach. The sampling technique used is Purposive Sampling. In this study, sample were divided into 2 groups consisting of 18 clinical students wearing latex and nitrile gloves while performing dental extraction on either anterior or posterior tooth.Results: The mean results obtained from latex glove are 88.82Â±168.56 CFU/ml which is higher than the nitrile group 0.00Â±0.00 CFU/ml. Based on the Mann-Whitney test results, the p value=0.01<0.05 where there are significant difference between latex and nitrile glove.Conclusion: Based on results of research and data analysis, it can be concluded that there are significant differences in the number of bacterial colonies in latex and nitrile gloves where the use of nitrile gloves are more effective than the latex gloves.
- Kouchak F, Askarian M. Nosocomial Infections: The Definition Criteria. Iran J Med Sci 2012;37: 72-73.
- Suleh MM, Wowor VNS, Mintjelungan CN. Pencegahan dan pengendalian infeksi silang pada tindakan ekstraksi gigi di rumah sakit gigi dan mulut pendidikan PSPDG Fakultas Kedokteran UNSRAT. J e-Gigi 2015;3: 587-597.
- Lugito MDH. Kontrol infeksi & keselamatan kerja dalam praktek kedokteran gigi (Infection control and occupational safety in dental practiceI). J PDGI 2013;62: 25.
- Mathur P. Hand hygiene: Back to the basics of infection control. The Indian J of Med Res 2011;134: 611-620.
- Bardorf MH, JÃ¤ger B, Boeckmans E, et al. Influence of material properties on glovesâ€™ bacterial barrier efficacy in the presence of microperforation. American J Infection Control 2016;44: 2,4,5.
- Landers TF, Dent A. Nitrile versus latex for glove juice sampling. J PLoS ONE 2014;9: 1-3.
- Garland KV. The benefits of nitrile. J Professional Excellence 2013;11: 12-6.
- FDA. Proposal to Eliminate the Use of Powdered Gloves in Health Care Announced. Oncol Times 2016;38: 7.
- Puranik SM, Mandroli PS, Gokhale NS. Comparative evaluation of microbial counts on hand after using surgical and examination gloves. Indian J Dent Adv 2013;5: 1164-1168.
How to Cite
Riza, A., Syaflida, R., Oes, A., & Fiqriyah, A. (2019). Comparison of latex and nitrile glove on total bacterial colonisation onclinical students at the Department of Oral and Maxilofacial Surgery Faculty of Dentistry Universitas Sumatera Utara March-May 2018. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 4(1), 12–14. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v4i1.795