The effectiveness of the use of plastic wrapping on dental unit work desks on the number of bacterial colonies in Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, University of North Sumatra (USU)
Objective: The purpose of this research was to determine the effectiveness of the use of plastic wrapping on dental unit work desks on the number of bacterial colonies in Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Faculty of Dentistry USU.Material and Methods: In this study, sampling was carried out on tooth extraction patients in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Department by using 2 dental chair units where one of the dental unit work desks used plastic wrap and the other did not. Then examination of the number of bacterial colonies was carried out in Microbiology Laboratory, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Science USU.Results: Samples taken as many as 50 samples (25 pre-test samples and 25 post-test samples) in 5 different days showed a significant difference in the number of bacterial colonies (p<0.05).Conclusion: This study showed that there was a significant decrease in the number of bacterial colonies in the dental unit work desks that used plastic wrap compared to those that do not.
Deprecated: Non-static method HtmlArticleGalleyPlugin::get_html() should not be called statically in /home/customer/www/jdmfs.org/public_html/cache/t_compile/42362804174f266c598cdb32c3208fc745b92101^addd65021fadf964339ab08cd1aa93ba59b14e9c_0.app.frontendobjectsarticledet.php on line 214
- Lugito MDH. Kontrol infeksi dan keselamatan kerja dalam praktek kedokteran gigi. J PPDGI 2013;62: 24-30.
- Farias AF, Sajni R, Taru R. Life on the edge for the indian dentist: a look at infection control and its application for indian dental offices. Int J Infect Control 2014;10: 1-8.
- Umscheid CA, Agarwal RK, Brennan PJ, et al. Updating the guideline development methodology of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC). Am J Infect Control 2010;38: 264-273.
- Syafira AA, Noer M, Syafrawati. Identify and test the resistance of bacteria on dental unit surfaces in dental clinic of dentistry faculty, Andalas University Padang. J Help Med 2016;1: 77-82.
- Kurita H, Kurashina K, Honda T. Nosocomial transmission of methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus via the surfaces of the dental operatory. British Dent J 2006;201: 297-300.
- Dewanto I, Medi S. Gambaran pelaksanaan kontrol infeksi pada praktik dokter gigi di kota Yogyakarta. IDJ 2012;2: 58-69.
- Suleh MM, Vonny NS, Christy NM. Pencegahan dan pengendalian infeksi silang pada tindakan ekstraksi gigi di Rumah Sakit Gigi dan Mulut PSPDG FK Unsrat. J E-gigi 2015;2: 587-594.
- Miller CH, Charles JP. Infection control and management of hazardous materials for dental team. 4th ed. Canada: Elsevier; 2010. p. 66, 172-183.
- Young-Sik C, Bo-Hye J, Young-Suk C. Construction and Validation of Infection Control Practice Scale for Dental Hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9: 53-59.
- Samuel FD, Judith TA, Lloyd M. A Randomized Clinical Trial of a Tailored Comprehensive Care Treatment Program for Temporomandibular Disorders. J Orofac Pain 2002;16: 259-276.
- Porter JS, Kathryn P, Rachel LS. Ef?cacy of cling film for barrier protection in a dental clinical environment: short communication. J Infect Prevention 2011;12: 60-63.
- Petti S, Antonella P, Sthephanie JD. Effect of disposable barriers, disinfection and cleaning on controlling methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus environtmental contamination. Am J Infec Control 2013;41: 836-840.
- Franchi L, Alvetro L, Giuntini V, et al. Effectiveness of comprehensive fixed appliance treatment used with the Forsus Fatigue Resistant Device in Class II patients. Angle Orthod 2011;81: 678-683.
- Purwandari P, Dewi N, Budiarti LY. The influence of peat water to the colony number of aerob bacteria in mouth. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2016;1: 95-98.
How to Cite
Hanafiah, O. A., Siregar, I. B., Oes, A., & Sirait, E. M. (2020). The effectiveness of the use of plastic wrapping on dental unit work desks on the number of bacterial colonies in Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, University of North Sumatra (USU). Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 5(3), 181–184. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v5i3.828