Differences in blood pressure before and after administration of local anesthetic among obese adult female patients
Objective: To determine the differences in blood pressure of female patients aged 26-45 years with normal Body Mass Index (BMI) and obesity after administration of local anesthetic containing adrenaline before dental extraction in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Universitas Sumatera Utara.Material and Methods: This was an experimental study with a single group pretest-posttest design. Simple random sampling was used to select the subjects. 32 female patients aged 26-45 years participated in this study. 16 female patients with normal BMI and 16 female patients with obesity visited the clinic for dental extraction in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, University of North Sumatera. Blood pressure of each subject was measured before and after administration of anesthesia. Data obtained was statistically analyzed using Dependent T-test.Results: Systolic blood pressure between normal and obese subjects after administration of local anesthetic with adrenaline 1:80000 showed significant differences (p<0.05). Diastolic blood pressure between normal and obese subjects after administration of local anesthetic with adrenaline 1:80000 showed no significant differences (p>0.05).Conclusion: Administration of local anesthetic with adrenaline 1: 80000 can increase the blood pressure in obese patients and patients with normal BMI. Obese subjects are more prone to higher diastolic and systolic blood pressure changes compared to subjects with normal BMI.
- Malamed SF. Medical emergencies in the dental office. 6th ed. St.Louis; Mosby lsevier; 2007. p. 38-44.
- Sham EM, Rao SBH, Sultana N. Evaluation of cardiovascular changes in patients undergoing routine minor oral surgical procedure done under local anesthesia. Int J of Dent Clin 2012;4: 10-13.
- Haas DA, Gaffen AS. Survey of local anesthetic use by ontario dentists. J Can Dent Assoc 2009;75: 649.
- Nakamura Y, Matsumura K, Miura K, et al. Cardiovascular and sympathetic response to dental surgery with local anesthesia. Hypertens Res 2001;23: 209-214.
- Dua S, Bhuker M, Sharma P, et al. Body mass index relates to blood pressure among adults. North American J Med Sci 2014;6: 89-95.
- Romero-Corral A, Somers VK, Sierra-Johnson J, Thomas RJ, CollazoClavell ML, et al. Accuracy of body mass index in diagnosing obesity in the adult general population. Int J Obes 2008; 32(6): 959–66.
- Rachmi CN, Li M, Baur LLA. Overweight and obesity in Indonesia: prevalence and risk factors. Publ Health 2017;147: 20-29.
- Ghorbani R, Nassaji M, Jandaghi J, et al. Overweight and obesity and associated risk factors among the Iranian middle-aged women. Int J Collab Res Intern Med & Publ Health 2015;7: 120-131.
- Nayak SB, Venkatesh D, Yogesh MK. Effect of obesity and hypertension on pulmonary functions. Natl J Physiol Pharm Pharmacol 2014:4: 47-50.
- Igbokwe VU, Adebayo-Gege GI, Seriki AS. Prevalence of inter-arm blood pressure difference normal and hypertensive patients. J Cardiol & Cardiovasc Ther 2017;7: 1-6.
- Unsworth J , Tucker G, Hindmarsh Y. Man versus machine: the importance of manual blood pressure measurement skills amongst registered nurses. J Hosp Adm 2015;4: 61-67.
- Bandl E, Boda K, Sonkodi S: Hypertension screening in a dental surgery: A Hungarian study. J Hum Hypertens 1990; 4:253–57.
- Thiem DGE, Schnaith F, Aken CMEV, et al. Extraction of mandibular premolars and molars: Comparison between local infiltration via pressure syringe and inferior alveolar nerve block anesthesia. Clin Oral Invest 2017;7: 1-9.
- Gee LK. A review of adult obesity research in Malaysia. Med J Malaysia 2016;71: 1-19.
- Chobanian AV, Bakris GL, Black HR, et al. The seventh report of the Joint National Committee on prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure: the JNC 7 report. JAMA 2003;289: 2560-2572.
- Yu Z, Nissinen A, Vartiainen E, et al. Associations between socioeconomic status and cardiovascular risk factors in an urban population in China. Bull World Health Organiz 2000;78: 1296-305.
- Managutti A, Prakasam M, Puthanakar N, et al. Comparative analysis of local anasthesia with 2 different concentrations of adrenaline: A randomized and single blind study. J Int Oral Health 2015;7: 24-27.
- Ketabi M, Shamami MS, Alaie M. Influence of local anesthetics with or without epinephrine 1/80000 on blood pressure and heart rate. Dent Res J 2012;9: 437-440.
- Balakrishnan R, Ebenezer V. Contraindications of vasoconstrictors in dentistry. Biomed and PharJ 2013; 6(2):409-14.
- Fernandes SR, Castro NSR, Palma GMC, et al. Influence of vasoconstrictors added to dental anesthetics on blood pressure and heart rate. Rev Cubana de Estomatol 2017;54: 1-10.
- Tsuchiya H. Dental anesthesia in the presence of inflammation: Pharmacological mechanisms for the reduced efficacy of local anesthetics. Int J Clin Anesthesiol 2016; 4(3): 1059.
- Silvestre FJ, Martinez IS, Bautista D, et al. Clinical study of hemodynamic changes during extraction in controlled hypertensive patients. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2011;16: e354-e358.
- Duskova M, Vasakova J, Duskova J, et al. The role of stress hormones in dental management behavior problems. Physiol Res 2017;66: 317-322.
- Jiang SZ, Lu W, Zong XF, et al. Obesity and hypertension. Exp Ther Med 2016;12: 2395-2399.
- Taylor LE, Sullivan JC. Sex differences in obesity-induced hypertension and vascular dysfunction: A protective role for estrogen in adipose tissue inflammation. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2016;311: 714-720.
- DeMarco VG, Aroor AR, Sowers JR. The pathophysiology of hypertension in patients with obesity. Nat Rev Endocrinol 2014;10: 364-376.
- Kaura AM, Bamgbose BO, Ogunwande SAB, et al. Effect of vasoconstrictor on arterial blood pressure during minor oral surgical procedures. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2018; 3: 136-143.
How to Cite
Riza, A., Siregardew, I. B., Oes, A., & Tilagamalar, T. (2021). Differences in blood pressure before and after administration of local anesthetic among obese adult female patients. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 6(1), 17–21. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v0i0.830