Analysis of kepok banana (musa paradisiaca l) stems and roots extract in inhibiting the growth of candida albicans
Objective: The aim of this study to analysis the effectiveness of kepok banana (Musa paradisiaca L)Â stems and roots extract in inhibiting the growth of Candida albicans and determining part of stem or root that is more effective in inhibiting the growth of Candida albicans (a number of colonies).Material and Methods: This study was an experimental study with a dilution method. The samples were Candida albicans colonies. The extraction was conducted using methanol maceration method. Viscous extracts were diluted using 10% dimethyl sulfoxide and filtered with Whatman paper filter. Those extracts were then divided into three separate groups; K(control), B(stem), A(root). Groups K, B and A were added with Potato Dextrose Broth (PDB) media to reach concentrations of 25%, 12.5%, and 6.25%. The amount of Candida albicans colonies were counted and statistically analyzed using ANOVA and Post Hoc.Results: Kepok Banana stems and roots extract was effective in inhibiting the growth of Candida albicans (a number of colonies). Root extract concentration of 25% had a better inhibitory effect compared to 12.5% and 6.25% concentration on both extracts. Root extract is better than stem extract.Conclusion: Extracts of kepok banana stems and roots (musa paradisiaca l.) are effective in inhibiting the growth of candida albicans.
- Komariah, Sjam R. Candida colonization in the oral cavity.
- Med Magazine FKUI 2012;28: 39-47.
- Herrry MS, Amy NC, Maharani LA. Test the
- effectiveness of antifungal methanol extract of banana mauli
- stem against candida albicans. J PDGI 2013;62: 7-10.
- Hastari R. Test the antibacterial activity of midrib extract
- and stem of ambon banana plant. Young Med J 2012: 29.
- Ayu PN, Nurmiati, Anthoni A. Antibacterial activity test
- extracts of banana chocolate seed extract (moses paradisiaca linn.) against staphylococcus aureus and escherichia
- coli. J Bio UA 2013;2; 207-213.
- Deepalakshmi K, Rameashkannan, Panagal M. Bioactive
- compounds profiling of musa paradisiaca l. Root extract
- by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. Am J Biol &
- Pharmaceutic Res 2015;2: 125-128.
- Babu MA, Suriyakala MA, Gothandam KM. Varietal
- impact on phytochemical contents and antioxidant
- properties of musa acuminata (banana). J Pharm Sci &
- Res 2012;4: 1950-1955.
- Fardiaz S. Analisa Mikrobiologi Pangan. Jakarta: Raja
- Grafindo Persada; 1989.
- Harlina, Octhavya OPD. Analysis of stem and root
- extract of kepok banana (musa paradisiaca Linn.) in
- inhibit staphylococcus aureus growth. J Dentomaxillofac
- Sci 2019;4: 47-50.
How to Cite
Harlina, H., & Azizah, N. G. (2019). Analysis of kepok banana (musa paradisiaca l) stems and roots extract in inhibiting the growth of candida albicans. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 4(3), 176–179. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v4i3.876