Inferior alveolar nerve preservation for hemimandibulectomy and bridging plate reconstruction in monostotic fibrous dysplasia case
Objective: This paper aimed to report the inferior alveolar nerve preservation in cases of monostotic fibrous dysplasia performed by hemimandibulectomy.Methods: A 11-year-old boy was referred to Dr. Sardjito General Hospital with the complaint of having a lump at the lower back of the left jaw. Past medical history revealed that the patient fell and knocked a stone on the left jaw, at 8 years old. The patient was biopsied and diagnosed with monostotic fibrous dysplasia. From the result of the investigations conducted, the lesion had involved the left coronoid and condyle processes.Results: The treatment performed for this case were hemimandibulectomy and reconstruction with installation of bridging plates to remove lesions, restore masticatory function and facial esthetics. Postoperative evaluation showed shape and jaw function was restored with no complaint of paresthesia.Conclusion: Inferior alveolar nerve preservation was performed to minimize the symptoms of paresthesia as the patient was still young, the lesion was benign and had a low recurrence rate if it was taken cleanly.
Keywords: Monostotic fibrous dysplasia Hemimandibulectomy Inferior alveolar nerve preservation Bridging plate reconstruction
- Mansi A, Balaji N, Sumathi MK, et al. Fibrous dysplasia: a review. TMU J Dent 2014;1: 25-29.
- Mohan H, Mittal P, Mundi I, et al. Fibrous dysplasia of bone: a clinicopathologic review. J Pathol Lab Med Int 2011;3: 1-42.
- DiCaprio MR, Enneking WF. Fibrous dysplasia. pathophysiol, evaluation, and treatment. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2005;87: 1848-1864.
- Oluwaseun AA, Samuel ES, Vedant B, et al. Fibrous dysplasia: an overview of disease process, indications for surgical management and a case report. J ePlasty 2015;15: 37-46.
- Kanasirska CRP. Fibrous dysplasia in the maxillomandibula region-case report. J IMAB-Ann Proceeding (Scientific Papers) 2010;16.
- Mahadesh A. Fibrous dysplasia of the jaw bones. J Dent Sci & Res 2011: 2-7.
- Lee JS, FitzGibbon EJ, Chen YR, et al. Clinical guidelines for the management of craniofacial fibrous dysplasia. Orph J Rare Diseases 2012;7: 1-19.
- Coen PD. Spontaneous bone regeneration after mandible resection in a case of ameloblastoma. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2004;33: 59-62.
- Khodayari A, Khojasteh A, Kiani MT, et al. Spontaneous regeneration of the mandible after hemimandibulectomy: report of a case. J Dent Tehran 2011;8: 152–156.
- Griffin MF, Malahias M, Hindocha S, et al. Peripheral nerve injury: principles for repair and regeneration. Open Orthop J 2014;8: 199-203.
- Pourian A, Finkelstein M, Hellstein J. Ameloblastoma with involvement of theinferior alveolar neurovascular bundle: a case report. J Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2011;1: 56-64.
- Becker R. Continuity resection of the mandible with preservation of the mandibular nerve. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1970;8: 45-50.
- Engelbrecht H, Meer S, Kourie JF. Perineural infiltration of the inferior alveolar nerve in mandibular ameloblastomas. Oral presentation. SASMFOS Congress 2011: 10-17.
- Ishikhawa T, Noura N, Nagatha H, et al. A new method of conserving the inferior alveolar nerve during resection of the mandible. British J Oral & Maxillofac Surg 1986;24: 107-113.
- Yongki R, Kawulusan NN, Purwanti I. Effectiveness comparison of inferior alveolar nerve block anesthesia using direct and indirect technique. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2016;1: 171-176.
How to Cite
Widodo, A., Rahmat, M. M., Prihartiningsih, P., & Hasan, C. Y. (2020). Inferior alveolar nerve preservation for hemimandibulectomy and bridging plate reconstruction in monostotic fibrous dysplasia case. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 5(3), 196–199. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v0i0.924