Local application of biphosphonate as a biochemical barrier against bone graft resorption in mandibular reconstruction
Objective: This paper was aimed at examining the positive results of iliac bone graft osteogenesis and osteointegration following the local application of bisphosphonate in mandibular reconstruction. Methods: A 22-years-old female patient came with a complaint of pain-free right cheek mass that has enlarged slowly since 2 years. Radiographic examination shows cloudy radiolucent images in the right mandibular corpus to the right mandibular ramus, while histopathological examination indicates ossifying fibroma. Patient underwent mandibular resection followed by iliac bone graft-based mandibular reconstruction. Bone graft was immersed with bisphosphonate (zoledronate acid 0.005 mg /ml) for 3 minutes, then rinsed with saline in 3 minutes, followed by fixing bone graft on the reconstruction plate.Results: Postoperative follow up in the 36th week showed no signs of infection and dehiscence in the surgery site, and the radiographic examination indicated signs of osteogenesis and osteointegration of mandibular bone graft.Conclusion: Local application of biphosponate on bone graft promotes the favorable results of osteogenesis and osteointegration in mandibular reconstruction.
- Hupp JR, Ellis E, Tucker MR. Contemporary oral and maxillofacial surgery 5th ed. St.Louis Missouri: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. p. 449-468.
- Fernandes RP, Yetzer JG. Reconstruction of acquired oromandibular defect. Oral maxillofacial surg clin N Am 2013;25: 214-249.
- Farwell DG, Futran ND. Oromandibular reconstruction. Facial Plast Surg 2000;16: 115-126.
- Wong RC, Tideman H, Kin L, et al. Biomechanics of mandibular reconstruction: a review. IJOMS 2009;39: 313-319.
- Chim H, Salgado CJ, Mardini S, et al. Reconstruction of mandibular defects. Plastic Surg 2010;24: 188-197.
- Mounir M, Abou-ElFetouh A, El-Beialy W, et al. Vascularized versus non-vascularized autogenous bone graft for immediate reconstruction of segmental mandibular defects : a systematic review. OHDM 2015;14: 337-349.
- Kesteris U, Aspenberg P. Rinsing morcellised bone grafts with biphosphonate solution prevents their resorption: a prospective randomized double-blinded study. J Bone & Joint Surg 2006;88: 993-996.
- Alfotawi R, Ayoub A. Reconstruction of maxillofacial bone defects: contemporary methods and future techniques. Am J Adv In Med Sc 2014;2: 18-27
- Buchbinder D, Urken M. Mandibular reconstruction. Head & Neck Surg-Otolaryngol 1993;2: 1980-1999.
- Martín-Granizo R, Sánchez-Cuellar A, Falahat F. Cemento ossifying fibroma of the upper gingivae. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2000;122: 775.
- Triantafilidou K, Karakinaris D, Psomaderis K, et al. Fibrous dysplasia of craniomaxillofacial bones a clinical study of 18 cases and review of the literature. BJDM 2014;18: 99-105.
- Gondivkar SM, Gadbail AR, Chole R, et al. Ossifying fibroma of the jaws: report of two cases and literature review. Oral Oncol 2011;47: 804-809.
- Toyosawa S, Yuki M, Kishino M, et al. Ossifying fibroma vs fibrous dysplasia of the jaw : molecular and immunological characterization. J Modern Pathol 2007;20: 389-396.
- Chang C, Hung H, Chang J. Central ossifying fibroma: clinicopathologic study of 28 case. J Formos Med Assoc 2008;7: 288-294.
- Del-Hoyo JA, Sanroman JF, Bueno PR, et al. Primary mandibular reconstruction with bridging plates. J Cranio-Maxillofac Surg 1994;22: 43-48.
- Stosic S. Mandibular reconstruction state of the art and perspectives. Vojnosanit Pregel 2008;65: 397-403.
- Elsalanty ME, Genecov DG. Bone graft in craniofacial surgery. Craniomaxillofac Trauma Recons 2009;2: 125-134.
- Hong C, Quach A, Lin L. Local vs sistemic administration of biphosphonate in rat cleft bone graft : a comparative study. BMJ 2018;10: 134-140.
- Shaw NJ, Bishop NJ. Biphosphonate treatment of bone disease. Arch Dis Child 2005;90: 494-499.
- Jakobsen T, Baas J, Bechtold J. The effect of soaking allograft in bisphosphonate. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2010;468: 867-874.
- Lozano-Carrascal N, Salomo-Coll O, Hernandez-Alfaro F, et al. Do topical applications of biphosphonates improve bone formation in oral implantology? a systematic review. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2017;22: 512-519.
- Mathijssen NM, Buma P, Hannink G. Combining biphosphonate with allograft bone for implant fixation. Cell Tissue Bank 2014;15: 3.
- Widodo A, Rahmat MM, Prihartiningsih, et al. Inferior alveolar nerve preservation for hamimandibulectomy and bridging plate reconstruction in monostotic fibrous dysplasia case. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2020;5: 196-199.
How to Cite
Hanif, R., Hasan, C. Y., Rahardjo, & Rahmat, M. M. (2021). Local application of biphosphonate as a biochemical barrier against bone graft resorption in mandibular reconstruction. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 6(1), 61–65. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v0i0.929