Boiling water injection as a non-surgical alternative treatment in hemangiomas
Objective: This paper introduce boiling water as an alternative simple treatment for hemangiomas without surgery.Methods: The patient was a 22-year-old woman with a diagnosis of high flow hemangioma based on doppler ultrasound examination. A treatment with boiling water injection was carried out in 2 stages combined with dexamethasone 0.5 mg for 10 days and 5 days after the first and second injection respectively.Results: Evaluation done 3 months after injection showed no hemangioma lesions.Conclusion: The combination of boiling water injection and corticosteroid administration in the treatment of hemangiomas ended up in satisfactory results
- Richter GT, Friedman AB. Hemangiomas and vascular malformations: current theory and management. Int J Pediatr 2012;2012: 1-10.
- Pinto A, Haberland CM, Baker S. Pediatric soft tissue oral lesions. Dent Clin North America 2014;58: 437-453.
- Kobayashi K, Nakao K, Kashishita S, et al. Vascular malformations of the head and neck. Auris Nasus Larynx 2012;40: 89-92.
- Zheng JW, Zhou Q, Yang XJ, et al. Treatment guideline for
- hemangiomas and vascular malformations of the head and neck. Head Neck 2009;32: 1088-1098.
- Srivathsa SH. Sclerotherapy for hemangioma of the labial mucosa. Indian J Paediatr Dermatol 2016;17: 53-55.
- Trivedi K, Soni A, Meshack R, et al. Intraoral hemangioma: an overview of the clinical entity. J Int Clin Dent Res Organ 2015;7: 79-81.
- Parvathidevi MK, Koppal S, Rukmangada T, et al. Management of haemangioma with sclerosing agent: a case report. BMJ Case Rep 2013;2013: 1-4.
- Goldman MP, Guex J, Bolton J. Mechanism of action of sclerotherapy. In Goldman MP ed. Sclerotherapy treatment of varicose and telangiectatic leg veins. 6th ed. St.Louis: Elsevier; 2011. p. 173-199.
- Fathallah ZF. Injection of boiling hypertonic saline in the treatment of cutaneous haemangioma. Bas J Surg 2016;22: 31-37.
- Rowan MP, Cancio LC, Elster EA, Burmeister DM, Rose LF, Natesan S, Chan RK, Christy RJ, Chung KK. Burn wound healing and treatment: review and advancements.Critical Care 2015, 19: 1-12.
- Dewhirst M, Viglianti BL, Lora-Michiels M, Hoopes PJ, Hanson MA, Thermal dose requirement for tissue effect: experimental and clinical findings. Thermal Treatment of Tissue: Energy Delivery and Assessment II. Proc SPIE 2003;4954: 37-57.
- Rieuwpassa IE, Achmad H. Mouth preparation pasien hemangioma bibir pada anak sebelum tindakan radioterapi. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2010;9: 86-91.
How to Cite
Prasetya, D. A., Goreti, M., & Hasan, C. Y. (2021). Boiling water injection as a non-surgical alternative treatment in hemangiomas. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 6(2), 128–131. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v6i2.931