Effectiveness wall mounted automatic toothbrush against oral hygiene on cerebral palsy children at SMPLB and SMALB D YPAC Jember
Objective:Cerebral palsy (CP) is a postural syndrome and non-progressive motor disorder due to pyramida and extrapyramidal tract damaged that causes limited motor activity and often accompanied by cognitive impairment or visual deï¬cits. Limited motor activity causes the process of brushing teeth to be hampered so that oral hygiene becomes low. Nowadays there many types of toothbrushes that required diï¬ƒcult motor activities so it is not eï¬€ective for children with CP. Wall Mounted Automatic Toothbrush with an automation system es expected to help CP children maintained their oral hygiene.Material and Methods:This study was clinical experimental with one group pretest posttest design in 5 samples in SMPLB and SMALB DYPAC Jember. Data analysis was the One Way Anova and Post-Hoc test using the Least Signiï¬cat Diï¬€ferent. The Material of this study is wall mounted automatic tootthbrush and manual toothbrush, both of them is used by children with cerebral palsyResults:There are signiï¬cant diï¬€erences between all treatment groups. The lowest of Silness and Loe plaque index of all treatment groups is the treatment group after brushing teeth with manual toothbrush. Conclusion:The conclusion of this study is wall mounted automatic toothbrush can improve oral hygiene measured by the Silness and Loe plaque index.
Keywords: Cerebral palsy Oral hygiene Silness and Loe plaque index Wall mounted automatic toothbrush
- Desiningrum DR. Psikologi Anak Berkebutuhan Khusus. Yogyakarta : Psikosain; 2016. p. 98-110.
- Achmad MH, Adam AM, Satria A. A cross sectional study of nutritional status among a group of school children in relation with gingivitis and dental caries severity. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2016;1: 150-154.
- Prijatmoko D. Indeks Massa Tubuh dan Konsumsi Nutrisi Pada Populasi Autis Yang mendapat Pendidikan Di Sekolah Khusus Penyandang Autis. Indonesian J Dent 2007;14: 132-135.
- Odding E, Roebroeck ME, Stam HJ. The epidemiology of cerebral palsy: incidence, impairments and risk factors. Disabil Rehabil 2006;28: 183-191.
- Boyle CA, Sheree B, Laura AS, et al. Trends in the prevalence of developmental disabilities in us children. J Pediatr 2011;127: 1034-1040.
- Kencana IGS. Peranan Perawat Gigi Dalam Pemeliharaan Kesehatan Gigi Dan Mulut Pada Anak Berkebutuhan Khusus (Disabled Children). J Kesehatan Gigi 2014;2: 262.
- Sedky NA. Assessment of oral and dental health status in children with CP: an exploratory study. Int J Health Sci 2018;12: 4-14.
- Makkar A, Indushekar KR, Saraf BG, et al. A cross sectional study to evaluate the oral health status of children with intellectual disabilities in the National Capital Region of India (Delhi-NCR). J Intellect Disabil Res 2019;63: 31-39.
- Achmad HA. Pengembalian fungsi pengunyahan pada anak dengan kelainan cerebral palsy dan mild mental retardation. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2008;7: 47-56.
- Aprinta I, Mia AP, Wirawan I. Hubungan frekuensi menyikat gigi dan konsumsi makanan kariogenik den-gan kejadian karies gigi molar pertama permanen pada anak Sekolah Dasar usia 8-12 tahun Di Desa Pertima, Karangasem, Bali. Bali Dent J 2018;2: 1-8.
- Avinash JS, Arpita, Singh, et al. Powered toothbrush vs manual toothbrush : Generation X of Mechanical Plaque Control. Review article. Int J Prevent Clin Dent Res 2017;4: 122-132.
- Williams CP, Elliott K, Gall J, et al. Patient and clinician engagement with health information in the primary care waiting room: A mixed methods case study. J Public Health Res 2019;8: 19-25.
- Ishikawa H, Takeuchi T, Yano E. Measuring functional, communicative, and critical health literacy among diabetic patients. Diabetes Care 2008;31: 874-879.
- Sharma NC, Qaqish JA. Clinical evaluation of the plaque removal eï¬ƒcacy of ï¬ve manual toothbrush. J Clin Dent 2010;21; 8-12.
- Protheroe J, Estacio EV, Saidy-Khan S. Patient information materials in general practices and promotion of health literacy: An observational study of their eï¬€ectiveness. Br J Gen Pract 2015;65:e192-197.
- Harding C, Hobbs T, Pendrick M. Making use of waiting time: an organisational tool for encouraging health promotion in rural general practice. Aust Fam Physician 2005;34: 703-704.
How to Cite
Afifah, H., Prijatmoko, D., & kiswaluyo, K. (2019). Effectiveness wall mounted automatic toothbrush against oral hygiene on cerebral palsy children at SMPLB and SMALB D YPAC Jember. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 4(3), 180–183. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v4i3.956