Saliva parameter analysis on smoker and non smoker patients exposed to intraoral radiography
Objective: To analyze saliva parameter such as salivary pH, total protein, buffer capacity, as well as sodium and potassium level on smoker and non smoker patients after exposed to intraoral radiography.Material and methods: This study was an observational study with cross-sectional design. Samples were smoker and non smoker patients who were referred to Dental Hospital Hasanuddin University. Saliva samples were taken by draining method. Samples were transferred immediately to Laboratory of Biochemistry, Faculty of Mathematics and Science to be processed regarding saliva pH, saliva total protein, buffer capacity, as well as saliva sodium and potassium level. Saliva pH were measured with pH meter Hanna instruments, total protein with Lowryâ€™s method, buffer capacity with Ericcsonâ€™s method, sodium and potassium level with atomic absorption spectrophotometer Parking Elmer A400. Data were then analyzed with statistical test Kolmogorov Smirnov, independent t-test, and oneway Anova with p<0.05 were considered statistically significant.Result: There were no significant difference on salivary pH, buffer capacity and potassium level between smoker group and non smoker group (p>0.05) before exposed to intraoral radiography, but we found significant difference on saliva total protein and sodium level between smoker and non smoker group (p<0.05) before radiography exposure. There were no significant change on salivary pH, total protein, buffer capacity, sodium and potassium level after exposed to intraoral radiography (p>0.05) on both smoker and non smoker group.Conclusion: Exposure of intraoral radiographs did not have significant effect on salivary pH, total protein, buffer capacity, as well as sodium and potassium level.Â
- PV Almaeda LA. Almaeda PV, Gregi A, et al. Saliva composition and function. J Contemp Dent Pract 2008;9: 2-5.
- Bafghi AF, Tabrizi AG, Bakhshayi P. The eï¬€ect of smoking on mineral and protein composition of saliva. Iran J Otorhinolaryngol 2015;27: 301-305.
- Sedighe B, Somayyeh A, Masoumeh M, et al. Eï¬€ect of cigarette smoke on salivary total antioxidant capacity. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospect 2015;9: 10-13.
- Grundmann O, Mitchell GC, Limesand KH. Sensitivity of salivary glands to radiation: from animal models to therapies. J Dent Res 2009;88: 894-903.
- Okano T, Sur J. Radiation dose and protection in dentistry. Jpn Dent Sci Rev 2010;46: 112-121.
- White SC, MJ P. Oral radiology: principles and interpretation. 7th ed. Mosby: Elsevier; 2014. p. 109-206.
- Horizonte B, Janeiro R De, Janeiro R De, et al. Assessment of dose in thyroid and salivary glands in dental radiology using thermoluminiscent dosimetry. Int Nucl Atl Conf 2011;103: 1-8.
- Kanwar A, Sah K, Grover N, et al. Long - term eï¬€ect of tobacco on resting whole mouth salivary ï¬‚ow rate and pH: an institutional based comparative study. Eur J Gen Dent 2013;2: 296-299.
- Rieuwpassa IE, Asmawati. Thickness cortex mandible on Toraja viewed from womenâ€™s groups radiographic panoramic. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2018;3: 41-45.
- Wahyuni A, Yunus M, Ruslin M. The difference uses of panoramic photo and cbct evaluation of the gnathoplasty surgery outcome. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2017;2: 110-113.
- Grover N. Long-term eï¬€ect of tobacco on unstimulated salivary pH. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol 2016;5: 9-12.
- PetruÅ¡iÄ‡ N, Posavec M, Sabol I, et al. The eï¬€ect of tobacco smoking on salivation. Acta Stomatol Croat 2015;49: 309-315.
- Proctor G. The physiology of salivary secretion. Periodontol 2000 2016;70: 11-25.
- Maryam R, Shahla K, Fateme NB, et al. Eï¬€ect of Long-term Smoking on Whole-mouth Salivary Flow Rate and Oral Health. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospect. 2010;4: 110-114.
- Ludlow JB, Davies-ludlow LE, White SC. Patient risk related to common dental radiographic examinations: the impact of 2007 International commission on radiological protection recommendations regarding dose calculation. JADA 2009;139: 1237-1243.
- Haiter Neto F, Nejaim Y, et al. Eï¬ƒcacy of lead foil for reducing doses in the head and neck: a simulation study using digital intraoral systems. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 2015;44: 20150065.
- Pow EHN, Chen Z, Kwong DLW, et al. Salivary anionic changes aï¬…er radiotherapy for nasopharyngeal carcinoma : a 1-Year prospective study. PLoS One 2016;11: 1-9.
- Nurgalih PW, Pramanik Farina, Tjahajawati Sri. Diï¬€erences of pH saliva before and aï¬…er panoramic radiography. J Int Dent Med Res 2017;12: 558-562.
How to Cite
Hasyim, R., Arsyad, A., Rieuwpassa, I. E., & Wulansari, D. P. (2019). Saliva parameter analysis on smoker and non smoker patients exposed to intraoral radiography. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 4(3), 150–153. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v4i3.960