The formation of tooth brushing automaticity of 7-8 year-old children using appreciative inquiry (Ai) approach
Objective:Â To measure the effectiveness of the appreciative inquiry (AI) approach for the formation of tooth brushing automaticity of children in school for 2 months.Material andÂ Methods:Â Randomized-Community Trial with a school-based supervised tooth brushing program for two months. Automaticity was measured with self-report behavior automaticity index (SRBAI) and intraoral examination was done with patient hygiene performance modified index (PHP-M)at the baseline, after 1 month and after 2 months.Â Results:Â automaticity proportion was significantly higher in the AI group (63.8%) compared to conventional group (22.1%) (P = 0.000; OR= 11.9, 95% CI = 4.794-29.497).Â Conclusion:Â appreciative inquiry was more effective than conventional health education approach for tooth brushing behavior change.
- KementerianKesehatan RI. RisetKesehatan Daerah 2013. Jakarta: Litbang Dinkes; 2013. p. 150-166.
- Cooper AM, Margaret C, Dugdill L. Challenges in oral health behavioral intervention studies in children. Pragmatic Observ Res 2014;5: 43-51.
- SandstrÃ¶m A, Cressey J, StecksÃ©n-Blicks C. Tooth-brushing behaviour in 6-12 years old. Int J Paediatr Dent 2011;21: 43-49.
- Sharma S, Yeluri R, Jain A, et al. Effect of toothbrush grip on plaque removal during manual toothbrushing in children. J Oral Sci 2012;54: 183-190.
- Gardner, B. Habit as automaticity, not frequency. Euro Health Psychol 2012;14: 32-36.
- Lally P, Van-Jaarsveld CH, Potts HW, et al. How are habits formed: modelling habit formation in the real world. Eur J Soc Psychol 2010;40: 998-1009.
- Wood W, Neal DT. A new look at habits and the habit-goal interface. Psychologic Rev 2007;114: 843-863.
- Cooperrider DL, McQuaid M. The positive arc of systematic strengths: how appreciative inquiry and sustainable designing can bring out the best in human systems. JCC 2012;46: 71-102.
- Trajkovski S, Schmied V, Vickers M, et al. An appreciative inquiry approach to practice improvement and transformative change in health care settings. Contemp Nurse 2013;54: 95-100.
- Sidebotham M, Fenwick J, Rath S, et al. Midwivesâ€™ perceptions of their role within the context of maternity service reform: an appreciative inquiry. Women Birth 2015;28: 112-20.
- Carter CA, Ruhe MC, Weyer S, et al. An appreciative inquiry approach to practice improvement and transformative change in health care settings. Q Manage Health Care 2007;16: 194-204.
- Trajkovski S, Schmied V, Vickers M, et al. Implementing the 4D cycle of appreciative inquiry in health care: a methodological review. J Adv Nurs 2013;69: 1224-1234.
- Williams RF. Survey guided appreciative inquiry: a case study. Org Develop Pract 1996;28: 43-51.
- Bushe GR. Appreciative Inquiry is not (just) about the positive. OD Pract 2007: 30-35.
- Hussein, Julia, et al. â€œThe effect of surveillance and appreciative inquiry on puerperal infections: a longitudinal cohort study in India.â€ PloS one 2014;9: e87378.
- Cooperider DL, Whitney D, et al. Appreciative inquiry handbook. 2nd ed. Brunswick Crown Custom Publishing; 2008.
- Haar VD, Hosking D. Evaluating appreciative inquiry: a relational constructionist perspective. Human Relations 2004;57: 1017-1036.
- Blake H, Dawett B, Leighton P, et al. School based educational intervention to improve childrenâ€™s oral health related knowledge. Health Promot Pract 2015;16: 571 82.
- Pujar P, Subbareddy VV. Evaluation of the tooth brushing skills in children aged 6-12 years. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 2013;14: 213-219.
- Robert A. Tooth brushing as routine behavior. Int Dent J 2007;57: 1-13.
- Lally P, Gardner B. Promoting habit formation. Health Psychology Review. Advance online publication. 2012;7(Suppl 1): S137-S158.
- Abdul H, Khan MK, SufiaShamta, et al. The role of repetition and reinforcement in school-based oral health education-a cluster randomized controlled trial. BMC Public Health 2016;16: 1-11.
- Judah G, Gardner B, Aunger R. Forming a flossing habit: an exploratory study of the psychological determinants of habit formation. Br J Health Psychol, 2013;18: 338-353.
- Anwar A. Correlation between mental health and caries status in Primary School Students. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2018;3: 108-111.
How to Cite
Prihastari, L., Matram, Z. K., & Rahardjo, A. (2020). The formation of tooth brushing automaticity of 7-8 year-old children using appreciative inquiry (Ai) approach. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 5(1), 22–27. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v5i1.968