Komunikasi oroantral: etiologi dan penatalaksanaannya Oroantral communication: the etiology and management
Oroantral communication (OAC)may occur when upper posterior teeth are removed, and occasionally, as a resultof trauma. This sinus perforation formed particularly when a maxillary molar with widely divergent roots adjacentto edentulous spaces is extracted. In this instance the sinus is likely to be pneumatized into the edentulous alveolarprocessus surrounding the tooth, which weakens the entire alveolus and brings the tooth apices into a closerrelationship with the sinus cavity. In order to avoid OAC, preoperative radiograph is needed. When perforation, ifsinus opening is small and disease free, effort should be made to establish blood clot in the extraction site andpreserve it in place. Soft tissue flap elevation is not required. Sutures are placed to reposition the soft tissue, and agauze pack is placed over the surgical site for 1-2 hours. Majority of patients treated in this manner showeduneventful healing when no evidence of preexisting sinus disease.
- Ogunsalu C. A new surgical management for oroantral communication. West Indian Med J 2005; 54(4): 261-3.
- Malik NA. Textbook of oral and maxillofacial surgery. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers; 2002. p. 53542.
- Tucker MR, Schow SR. Contemporary oral and maxillofacial surgery. In: Hupp JR, editor. Odontogenic disease of the maxillary sinus. 5Ed. St. Louis: Elsevier; 2008. p. 383-95.
- Ross BR, Webb TD, Steinle MA. Management of acute sinusitis secondary to minor maxillary sinus exposure. Clin Update 2009; 31(5): 34-5.
- Sener BC. Buccal corticotomy for closure of oroantral openings: case report. Turk J Med Sci 2004; 34: 409-14.
- Srinivasan B. Textbook of oral and maxillofacial surgery. 2nd Ed. New Delhi: Elsevier; 2004. p. 27787.
- Ehrl PA. Oroantral communication. Epicritical study of 175 patients, with special concern to secondary operative closure. Int J Oral Surg 1980;9: 351-8.
- Balaji SM. Textbook of oral and maxillofacial surgery. New Delhi: Elsevier; 2007. p.330-5.
How to Cite
Poedjiastoeti, W. (2011). Komunikasi oroantral: etiologi dan penatalaksanaannya Oroantral communication: the etiology and management. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 10(2), 116–119. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v10i2.267