Alveolar cleft closure with iliac bone graft: a case report.
Objective: The present article is to report a case of a patient with alveolar cleft that was treated with the application of iliac bone graftMethods: A nine year-old girl with maxillary alveolar cleft had labioplasty and palatoplasty. The cleft was closed using iliac bone graft and the result was the canine erupts on the graft site get a better alveolar arch, and no more oronasal fistule. Alveolar cleft can be treated by the use of iliac bone graft.Results: Based on the clinical and radiographic development of the patient, the treatment for overall seemed success with the obtain of maxillary arch continuity, provide bone that is available for permanent canine to erupt, optimal alar base reconstruction, the fistulae was eliminated, provide a better nasal alar cartilage support, get a stabil the maxillary segment for orthodontic treatment, and obtain an ideal alveolar morphology.Conclusion: The timing of alveolar bone grafting usually associated with the state of the developing of dentition. Post operative management is important to get a good result, and to prevent any complications.
- Cho-Lee G, Garcia-Diez E, Nunes R, et al. Review of secondary alveolar cleft repair. Ann Maxillofac Surg 2013;3: 46-50.
- Bartlett S, Ehrenfeld M, Mast G, et al. Congenital Deformities. Unilateral CLP-Alveolar bone grafting; 2013.
- Berkowitz S. Cleft lip and palate diagnosis and management. 2nd Edition. Germany; 2006.
- Redett R. Alveolar bone grafts; 2013.
- Yoshida S, Suga K, Nakano Y, et al. Postoperative evaluation of grafted bone in Alveolar cleft using three-dimensional computed data. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2013;50: 671-677.
- Steinbacher DM, Padwa DL, Mulliken JB. Simultaneous harvesting of cancellous iliac bone for Alveolar cleft closure and dermis for augmentation median tubercle. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2009;46: 295-298.
- Goudy S, Lott D, Burton R, et al. Secondary Alveolar bone grafting outcomes, revisions, and new applications. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2009;46: 610-612.
- Fish J, Orth D. The clinical management of Postalveolar cleft palate infants. J Dent 1974;2: 239-146.
- Akin Y, Ulgen O, Gencosmanoglu R, et al. Early Cheiloplasty. Its effects on Alveolar cleft. Eur J Plast Surg 1991;14: 164-167.
- Eppley BL, Sadove AM. Management of Alveolar cleft bone grafting state of the art. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2003;37: 229-233.
- Miller LL, Kauffmann D, John SD, et al. Retrospective review of 99 patients with secondary Alveolar cleft repair. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2010;68: 1283-1289.
- Kazemi A, Stearns JW, Fonseca RJ. Secondary grafting in the Alveolar cleft patient. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 2002;14: 477-490.
- Brinker MR, Miller MD. Fundamentals of Orthopaedics. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 1999. p. 7.
- Balaji SM. Alveolar cleft defect closure with iliac bone graft, rhBMP-2 and rhBMP-2 with Zygoma Shavings: comparative study. Ann Maxillofac Surg 2011;1: 8-13.
- Delee, Drez, Miller. DeLee and Drez's Orthopaedic sports medicine. Principles and practice. 3rd ed. Saunders Elsevier.
How to Cite
Tammama, T., Syamsudin, E., & Fathurachman, F. (2017). Alveolar cleft closure with iliac bone graft: a case report. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 2(1), 46–51. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v2i1.457