Effectiveness of the application of bawang dayak (eleutherine palmifolia l. merr) extracts on healing proccess in the osteitis alveolar post tooth extraction through fibroblast examination, collagen density and amount of osteogenesis (experimental study)
Objectives:Â The aim of this study was to analyze the potential for topical administration of Eleutherine palmifolia (l.)Â merr extract gel in the healing proccess of wound with osteitis alveolar as a complication after tooth extraction in SpragueÂ dawley mice by observing fibroblast cell area, collagen density, and amount of osteogenesis.Material and Methods:Â This study used a true experimental research method conducted on Sprague Dawley mice. Sample were divided into 3 groups, namely K1 (osteitis alveolarÂ was not given any treatment), K2 (osteitis alveolarÂ mice were given iodoform paste application every 3 days), and K3 (osteitis alveolarÂ mice were given application of the extract gelÂ Eleutherine palmifolia (l.)Â merrÂ topically). On day 3, 5 and 10 necropsy was done and the tooth sockets in the form of soft tissue together with hard tissue was taken, then preparations were made and stained with masson trichrome to examined fibroblasts, collagen and osteogenesis.Results:Â Topical application of the extract gel Eleutherine palmifolia (l.)Â merr showed the mean value of fibroblasts area and collagen density and the amount of osteogenesisÂ were comparable to iodoform paste in alveolar osteitis healing.Conclusion:Â this study is that the application of Eleutherine Palmifolia (l) merr extract gel has almost the same effectiveness as iodoform paste
- Gupta KC. When, why and where in oral and maxillofacial surgery part I. 5th ed: Basic reading in oral surgery. New Delhi, India: Jp Medical Ltd; 2011. p. 83.
- Steiner GG, Francis W, Francis W, et al. The healing socket and socket regeneration. Compend Contin Educ Dent 2008;29: 114-116.
- Guo, Dipitrio. Factors affecting wound healing. J Dent Res 2010;89: 219-229.
- Koloythas A, Olech E, Miloro. Alveolar osteitis: a comprehensive review of concepts and controversies. Int J Dentist 2010;10: 1155.
- Singh V, Das S, Sharma NK. Iodoform: a boon in disguise. J Stomatol 2012;2: 322-325.
- Febinda AE, Yuliana ND, Ridwan E, et al. Hyperglycemic control and diabetes complication preventive activities of bawang dayak (eleutherine palmifolia L. Merr) bulbs extracs in alloxan-diabetic rats. Int Food Res J 2014;21: 1405-1411.
- Insanu M, Kusmardiyani S, Hartati R. Recent Studies on phytochemicals and pharmacological effects of eleutherine americana merr. Procedia Chem 2012;13: 221-228.
- Han AR, Min HY, Nam JW, et al. Identification of a new napthalene and its derivates from the bulb of eleutherine americana with inhibitory activity on lipopolysaccharide-included nitric oxide production. Pharm Soc Japan Chem Pharm Bull 2008;56: 1314-1316.
- Blum IR. Contemporary views on dry socket (alveolar osteitis): a clinical appraisal of standardization, aetiopathogenesis and management: a critical review. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2002;31: 309-317.
- Karnure M, Munot N. Review on conventional and novel techniques for treatment of alveolar osteitis. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6: 13-17.
- Hawramy FA, Gataa IS. Evaluation of different drugs for prevention of dry socket after extraction of lower wisdom teeth. Tikrit J Dent Sci 2012;1: 76-80.
- Cardoso CL, Rodrigues MT, Ferreira JO, et al. Clinical concept of dry socket. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2010;68: 1922-1932.
- Kaya GS, Yapici G, Savas Z, et al. Comparison of alvogyl, salicept patch, and low-level laser therapy in the management of alveolar osteitis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011;69: 1571-1577.
- Eshghpour M, Ahrari F, Najjarkar NT, et al. Comparison of the effect of low level laser with alvogyl on the management of alveolar osteitis. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal Patol 2015;20: e386-392.
- Chen ST, Wilson TG, Hammerle CH. Immediate or early placement of implants following tooth extraxtion: review of biologic basis, clinical procedures, and outcome. Int J Oral Maxillofac Imp 2004;19: 12-25.
- Stojanovic S, Spasic M, Tijanic M. Healing of extraction wounds in an experimental model of rat. Acta Stomatol Naissi 2011;27: 1067-1076.
- Ismardianita E, Nasrul E, Yanwirasti, et al. The effectiveness methanol extract clausena excavate on number of fibroblast and density of collagen fibers after tooth extraction. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2019;4: 170-175.
How to Cite
Rezandaru, F., Syamsudin, E., Hadikrishna, I., & Juniantito, V. (2020). Effectiveness of the application of bawang dayak (eleutherine palmifolia l. merr) extracts on healing proccess in the osteitis alveolar post tooth extraction through fibroblast examination, collagen density and amount of osteogenesis (experimental study). Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 5(1), 28–33. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v5i1.933