Wide excision as an optional treatment for large ossifying fibroma: a case report
Objective: Ossifying fibromas is a benign type of fibro-osseous tumor. These lesions may arise in the maxillary or mandible, but generally have more predilection of the mandible. Women are more often affected.Methods: A female patient, aged 40 years old, came to the Oral and Maxillofacial Polyclinics at Hasan Sadikin Hospital, complaining of a lump in the upper jaw. The lump effect makes the face asymmetrical, painless and has a hard consistency. We diagnosed this patient with ossifying fibroma. Ossifying fibroma is a kind of lesion that can spread to all directions, so it can resemble a sphere shape. Enucleation and curettage are the common treatment. Larger lesions, which have significant expansion or aggressive growth features, may require resection or wide excision Results: In this case our treatment ossifying fibroma is wide excision with ferguson webber incision technique and good results.Conclusion: Ossifying fibromas is a benign type of fibro-osseous tumor. Wide excision is an option for a large size of ossifying fibroma.
- Hargetty CJ, Laughlin RM. Atlas of operative oral and maxillofacial surgery. Blackwell: John Wiley & Sons; 2015. p. 409.
- Vura NG, Gaddipati R, Ramisetti S, et al. Surgical management of ossifying fibroma in maxilla : report of two casess. J Int Oral Health 2015;6: 115-118.
- Borle MR. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; 2014. p. 58-61.
- Bhatt P, Vinod VC, Kaushik A, et all. Ossifying fibroma of the maxilla: a rare case. Int J Maxillofac Imaging 2017;3: 28-31.
- Kanehira, Marina RP,Valber BM dkk. Surgical Treatment of Peripheral Ossifying Fibroma : a case report. J Oral Diag 2017;3: 1-3.
- Mishra MB, Bhishen KA, Mishra R. Peripheral ossifying fibroma. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol. 2011;15:65-8.
- Pal S, Hegde S, Ajila V. The varying clinical presentations of peripheral ossifying fibroma: a report of three cases. Rev Odonto CiÃªnc. 2012;27:251-5.
- Pamolango VT, Nurwiadh A, Sylvyana M, et al. Hemimandibulectomy of mandibular large odontogenic myxofibroma in adolescence girl and immediate reconstruction with AO plate. J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2016;1: 206-209.
How to Cite
Hadira, H., Seto, A., & Syamsudin, E. (2019). Wide excision as an optional treatment for large ossifying fibroma: a case report. Journal of Dentomaxillofacial Science, 4(3), 188–191. https://doi.org/10.15562/jdmfs.v0i0.756